Despite the enthusiastic response ZuP received for his Booth debut, December 2012’s Submissive, the Cleveland emcee/producer took his sweet time putting together a follow-up feature. I’ll forgive him, though, because new promo single The Blvd is just that dope. Whereas the first-mentioned joint was a pop record with hip hop-informed production, this joint reverses the formula, pairing flowed bars with surprisingly smooth, tuneful boardwork and hook vocals. Backed by his own wavy keyboard loops and boom-bap percussion, the artist reflects on his relationship with weed and cheap liquor, concluding that a night in the drunk tank might not be such a bad thing (“Bein’ incearcerated is the right place to put me.”). On the back, he showcases his skills behind the wheels of steel, scratching on a line from ODB’s Shimmy Shimmy Ya. Like what you’re hearing? Then stay tuned; The Blvd isn’t attached to a larger set, but we’ll keep you posted on ZuP’s 2014 plans as further details emerge.
Written by richard on 01/22/14
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Every Logic Song We’ve Ever Featured
- Shady XV: Eminem is Dropping a New Album & I Don’t Care
- S1 Confirms Kanye West Working on New Album, Songs Are “Feel Good” #A3CProAudio
- 5 Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed (10/20)
- PRhyme (Royce Da 5’9” & DJ Premier) - U Looz
- Lil Dicky ft. Michael Christmas & Rockie Fresh - Would You Believe That
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.