Despite the enthusiastic response ZuP received for his Booth debut, December 2012’s Submissive, the Cleveland emcee/producer took his sweet time putting together a follow-up feature. I’ll forgive him, though, because new promo single The Blvd is just that dope. Whereas the first-mentioned joint was a pop record with hip hop-informed production, this joint reverses the formula, pairing flowed bars with surprisingly smooth, tuneful boardwork and hook vocals. Backed by his own wavy keyboard loops and boom-bap percussion, the artist reflects on his relationship with weed and cheap liquor, concluding that a night in the drunk tank might not be such a bad thing (“Bein’ incearcerated is the right place to put me.”). On the back, he showcases his skills behind the wheels of steel, scratching on a line from ODB’s Shimmy Shimmy Ya. Like what you’re hearing? Then stay tuned; The Blvd isn’t attached to a larger set, but we’ll keep you posted on ZuP’s 2014 plans as further details emerge.
Written by richard on 01/22/14
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (9/19)
- 2 Chainz ft. Young Thug - Dresser (Lil Boy)
- Jennifer Lopez ft. Iggy Azalea - Booty (Remix)
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Billy Blue - Pu$$y
- Lil Dicky - Lemme Freak
- Yelawolf - Till It’s Gone
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- How to Get Your Music Posted Online: The Email Edition
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.