Despite the enthusiastic response ZuP received for his Booth debut, December 2012’s Submissive, the Cleveland emcee/producer took his sweet time putting together a follow-up feature. I’ll forgive him, though, because new promo single The Blvd is just that dope. Whereas the first-mentioned joint was a pop record with hip hop-informed production, this joint reverses the formula, pairing flowed bars with surprisingly smooth, tuneful boardwork and hook vocals. Backed by his own wavy keyboard loops and boom-bap percussion, the artist reflects on his relationship with weed and cheap liquor, concluding that a night in the drunk tank might not be such a bad thing (“Bein’ incearcerated is the right place to put me.”). On the back, he showcases his skills behind the wheels of steel, scratching on a line from ODB’s Shimmy Shimmy Ya. Like what you’re hearing? Then stay tuned; The Blvd isn’t attached to a larger set, but we’ll keep you posted on ZuP’s 2014 plans as further details emerge.
Written by richard on 01/22/14
Member Reviews and Ratings
- After Wiz Khalifa’s “Blacc Hollywood”, What Does a Number One Album Mean?
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)