Despite the enthusiastic response ZuP received for his Booth debut, December 2012’s Submissive, the Cleveland emcee/producer took his sweet time putting together a follow-up feature. I’ll forgive him, though, because new promo single The Blvd is just that dope. Whereas the first-mentioned joint was a pop record with hip hop-informed production, this joint reverses the formula, pairing flowed bars with surprisingly smooth, tuneful boardwork and hook vocals. Backed by his own wavy keyboard loops and boom-bap percussion, the artist reflects on his relationship with weed and cheap liquor, concluding that a night in the drunk tank might not be such a bad thing (“Bein’ incearcerated is the right place to put me.”). On the back, he showcases his skills behind the wheels of steel, scratching on a line from ODB’s Shimmy Shimmy Ya. Like what you’re hearing? Then stay tuned; The Blvd isn’t attached to a larger set, but we’ll keep you posted on ZuP’s 2014 plans as further details emerge.
Written by richard on 01/22/14
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- The Worlds Needs a Freddie Gibbs x BJ The Chicago Kid Album
- Tasha The Amazon - Can’t Control Us
- Is Madonna Working on a Secret Rap Album?
- RyattFienix - Ryse of the Fienix
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)