Released last fall, Zion I‘s acclaimed seventh full-length saw the Oakand duo exploring “...esoteric and unseen levels of existence” (to quote their In the Mix interview). Evidently, the cosmic head-trip that was Atomic Clock didn’t exhaust the twosome’s mystic wellspring of inspiration; Rockit Man, single numero uno off their sophomore full-length with fellow West Coast mainstay The Grouch, they’re right back on their transcendental sh*t. DJ AmpLive takes a characteristically eccentric tack behind the boards, layering burbling synth arpeggios to achieve an effect that’s otherworldly, and catchy to boot. Grouch and Zumbi come with compellingly weird, weirdly compelling rhymes to match the beat, the former mixing unhinged imagery (“You’re a parrot, regurgitate like other birds”) with cutting insights into the foundations of morality on the front, and the latter lacing the back with surreal Biblical-econo-metaphysical commentary. Topped off with the soaring hook vocals of singer/femcee Silk-E, Rockit is just the beginning of the fresh and enlightening material to be found on Zion I and Grouch’s Heroes in the Healing of the Nation LP, due out March 22.
Written by richard on 03/2/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Drop It on the 1" (2011)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- Rap Lines That Make No Fucking Sense: The Comeback
- Saba, The Native Son #TopProspects
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.