Nothing separates the pretenders from the true artists like a live performance. I’ve watched “hot” artists lose their buzz in minutes with a wack show, and I’ve seen complete unknowns win lifetime fans by proving they can truly Rock the Show. Here to prove he belongs in the latter category is newcomer Zak Downtown, a young emcee from New York City’s downtown (specifically) making his The DJBooth debut with the bouncing Show. Producer TGIK sets an appropriately live mood by adding crowd noise to an instantly enjoyable and bouncing beat, but it’s the headliner’s optimistically ambitious rhymes that will truly get the crowd moving: “To take over the world, I know it takes time / but they hearin bout me now through the grapevine.” Throw in some vocal assistance from Hoodie Allen and you’ve got a record that will spark the best time of your life (or so the duo claim). So how about it DJBooth Nation? Does this one have you throwing your hands in the air? If so you’ll definitely want to check out Zak’s upcoming mixtape, Downtown Delinquents, due to drop on Thursday, December 1.
Written by Nathan S. on 11/28/11
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Bad Man's World" (2012)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Best/Worst Of The Week: Coolio Turns To Porn, Nicki’s Comical Booty & More
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Sean Brown - The Top
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Kanye Thinks Drake is #1 Right Now - Is He Right? (Rap Power Rankings)
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (June 2014)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.