When someone screams at you to put your Hands Up High, there are only two main possibilities: you’re either having a great time listening to some dope music, or you’re being arrested (or mugged). The only question is: do you feel lucky? Do you, punk? Well, you should—Yung Nate‘s latest effort, the inaugural entry in the Harlem buzzmaker’s newly-relaunched #FREEMUSIC campaign, is all about good times. Nokane sets a celebratory mood on the production tip, chopping a sax-laced sample into a driving yet carefree backdrop for his triumphant bars. After the headliner’s finished luxuriating in his successes (and shaking his head at those stuck in the nine-to-five grind: “I ain’t gonna hate, homie that’s your route / Go ahead and write checks, hope they don’t bounce.”), Inglewood representative El Prez grabs the mic to deliver a strong closing 16, rhapsodizing about the pleasures of women, weed and liquor as he explicates his hedonistic life philosophy: “There’s only one way to live, and that’s paid, n*gga.” Like what you’re hearing? Then stay tuned for more weekly leaks leading up to the arrival of Nate’s forthcoming, yet-unscheduled LP, Meant to be Broken.
Written by richard on 08/18/11
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: Nicki Minaj’s (Kinda Boring) “The Pinkprint”
- Mike WiLL Made-It - Ransom
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.