If a dope Booth freestyle, the poignant Pray for ‘Em and cosigns from Rakewon and Q-Tip weren’t enough to convince you that YP‘s onto something, then I’m gonna have to assume that you’re on something. Unlike yours truly, however, the Chi-town native is willing to give slowpokes the benefit of the doubt – on his new single, What I’m On, he delivers a remedial course on what he’s all about. With Tye Hill‘s inspired sample work bumping in the background, YP lets his lyrically aggressive side shine. While the quotable lines come fast and furious, for once it’s easy to pick a favorite; in the most hilarious pop-referential punchline I’ve heard in a long minute, he spits: “I’m from the city of the pimps and dopeheads, they’ll find you in the trunk like when Cosby was Ghost Dad.” While you really can’t top a Ghost Dad reference, guest emcee Rockie Fresh makes a valiant effort, keeping things light and witty as he trades bars with the headliner. YP’s DJBooth.net/RubyHornet-sponsored No Sleep mixtape is set to drop Dec. 14; in the meantime, why not check out his recent “In the Mix” interview?
Written by richard on 12/9/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Dance With the Devil" (2010)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- Best/Worst of the Week: Wale & Seinfeld, Kendrick on “SNL” & More
- Isaiah Rashad’s “Cilvia Demo” vs. Mick Jenkins’ “The Water[s]”
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Is Madonna Working on a Secret Rap Album?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)