If a dope Booth freestyle, the poignant Pray for ‘Em and cosigns from Rakewon and Q-Tip weren’t enough to convince you that YP‘s onto something, then I’m gonna have to assume that you’re on something. Unlike yours truly, however, the Chi-town native is willing to give slowpokes the benefit of the doubt – on his new single, What I’m On, he delivers a remedial course on what he’s all about. With Tye Hill‘s inspired sample work bumping in the background, YP lets his lyrically aggressive side shine. While the quotable lines come fast and furious, for once it’s easy to pick a favorite; in the most hilarious pop-referential punchline I’ve heard in a long minute, he spits: “I’m from the city of the pimps and dopeheads, they’ll find you in the trunk like when Cosby was Ghost Dad.” While you really can’t top a Ghost Dad reference, guest emcee Rockie Fresh makes a valiant effort, keeping things light and witty as he trades bars with the headliner. YP’s DJBooth.net/RubyHornet-sponsored No Sleep mixtape is set to drop Dec. 14; in the meantime, why not check out his recent “In the Mix” interview?
Written by richard on 12/9/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Dance With the Devil" (2010)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.