If a dope Booth freestyle, the poignant Pray for ‘Em and cosigns from Rakewon and Q-Tip weren’t enough to convince you that YP‘s onto something, then I’m gonna have to assume that you’re on something. Unlike yours truly, however, the Chi-town native is willing to give slowpokes the benefit of the doubt – on his new single, What I’m On, he delivers a remedial course on what he’s all about. With Tye Hill‘s inspired sample work bumping in the background, YP lets his lyrically aggressive side shine. While the quotable lines come fast and furious, for once it’s easy to pick a favorite; in the most hilarious pop-referential punchline I’ve heard in a long minute, he spits: “I’m from the city of the pimps and dopeheads, they’ll find you in the trunk like when Cosby was Ghost Dad.” While you really can’t top a Ghost Dad reference, guest emcee Rockie Fresh makes a valiant effort, keeping things light and witty as he trades bars with the headliner. YP’s DJBooth.net/RubyHornet-sponsored No Sleep mixtape is set to drop Dec. 14; in the meantime, why not check out his recent “In the Mix” interview?
Written by richard on 12/9/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Dance With the Devil" (2010)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Fast Food Music: How Our Hunger for More is Killing Hip-Hop
- Rihanna & Kanye’s “FourFiveSeconds” is a Blue Collar Anthem
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.