Hip-hop has no problem talking about strippers, groupies and prostitutes, but it’s rare that an emcee truly examines the darker side of that objectification. We can consider YP‘s To The Moon video one of those rare cases then, as the new Universal/Republic signee sheds some much needed light on America’s domestic violence epidemic. Producer Low Key supplies a minimalist and haunting instrumental filled with only too real news clips that the Chicago native brings home with deeply affecting narrative raps: “She ain’t make it out, left the scene in a horror / and now a momma gotta bury a daughter.” A lot of rappers claim to keep it “real”, but it doesn’t get any realer than this, salute YP…and be sure to keep an ear out for his upcoming album, No Doz, due to drop August 14.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Dance With the Devil" (2010)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Logic ft. Big Sean - Alright
- Top Remixes of the Month [April 2014]
- Asher Roth - Retrohash
- Iggy Azalea - The New Classic
- Joyner Lucas - Don’t Ask for Nothin
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Songs Chart (April 21, 2014)
- Behind The Boards Interview Series: Statik Selektah
- Future - Honest LP
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Whoo Kid Breaks Down His Essential DJ Set-Up
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.