When it comes to rap, louder is almost always better. Some artists—Waka Flocka, for example—simply can’t be enjoyed at anything approaching a reasonable volume. YP‘s latest single is an exception to the rule: whether you blare it through your whip’s sound system or play it Softly on headphones, you’ll get the full impact. The Windy City representative’s first feature since May’s I Like That In You, this low-key street banger is built around a silky sample from Maxwell‘s record of the same title (as flipped by C-Sick). Contrary to what you might expect from the seductive backdrop, though, the lyrical philosophy YP outlines here is more business than pleasure: “Don’t give no f*ck bout your n**gas and who your n**gas is / I’m only focused on my dividends.” D. Gaines captures the record’s subdued, nocturnal vibe in his official visuals. Feeling it? You’ll be able to find Softly and many more fresh cuts on the artist’s Restless mixtape. Packing guest appearances from Smoke DZA, Mikkey Halsted and more, the project is scheduled for digital release July 25.
Written by richard on 07/17/13
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Dance With the Devil" (2010)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- Rap Quiz: Bet You Can’t Guess The Album Cover Pt. 6
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- 1 Listen Album Review: Drake’s “If You’re Reading This It’s Too Late”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.