When it comes to rap, louder is almost always better. Some artists—Waka Flocka, for example—simply can’t be enjoyed at anything approaching a reasonable volume. YP‘s latest single is an exception to the rule: whether you blare it through your whip’s sound system or play it Softly on headphones, you’ll get the full impact. The Windy City representative’s first feature since May’s I Like That In You, this low-key street banger is built around a silky sample from Maxwell‘s record of the same title (as flipped by C-Sick). Contrary to what you might expect from the seductive backdrop, though, the lyrical philosophy YP outlines here is more business than pleasure: “Don’t give no f*ck bout your n**gas and who your n**gas is / I’m only focused on my dividends.” D. Gaines captures the record’s subdued, nocturnal vibe in his official visuals. Feeling it? You’ll be able to find Softly and many more fresh cuts on the artist’s Restless mixtape. Packing guest appearances from Smoke DZA, Mikkey Halsted and more, the project is scheduled for digital release July 25.
Written by richard on 07/17/13
Windy City emcee YP has unveiled his latest street release, the Restless mixtape. The project follows the DJBooth-exclusive Wide Awake, released for free streaming and download at the top of the year. Heralded by...
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Dance With the Devil" (2010)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Kanye Thinks Drake is #1 Right Now - Is He Right? (Rap Power Rankings)
- The Weeknd - King of the Fall
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Mick Jenkins, The Conscience #TopProspects
- Jeremih x Shlohmo - No More EP
- Real Recognize Real: GoldLink on Loving Lil Bibby, Shaq & Robots
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (June 2014)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.