When it comes to rap, louder is almost always better. Some artists—Waka Flocka, for example—simply can’t be enjoyed at anything approaching a reasonable volume. YP‘s latest single is an exception to the rule: whether you blare it through your whip’s sound system or play it Softly on headphones, you’ll get the full impact. The Windy City representative’s first feature since May’s I Like That In You, this low-key street banger is built around a silky sample from Maxwell‘s record of the same title (as flipped by C-Sick). Contrary to what you might expect from the seductive backdrop, though, the lyrical philosophy YP outlines here is more business than pleasure: “Don’t give no f*ck bout your n**gas and who your n**gas is / I’m only focused on my dividends.” D. Gaines captures the record’s subdued, nocturnal vibe in his official visuals. Feeling it? You’ll be able to find Softly and many more fresh cuts on the artist’s Restless mixtape. Packing guest appearances from Smoke DZA, Mikkey Halsted and more, the project is scheduled for digital release July 25.
Written by richard on 07/17/13
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Dance With the Devil" (2010)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- The Worlds Needs a Freddie Gibbs x BJ The Chicago Kid Album
- Tasha The Amazon - Can’t Control Us
- Is Madonna Working on a Secret Rap Album?
- RyattFienix - Ryse of the Fienix
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)