Chicago rapper YP might not be a professional boxer, but there are plenty of similarities between him and legendary fighter Muhammad Ali. The lyrical haymakers that YP throws on his latest release, Greatness aka Ali, hit as hard as a knockout blow from The People’s Champion. But that isn’t the only similarity. What always amazed boxing fans about Ali is that, though he was big and powerful, he seemed to glide inside the ring. Respectively, YP’s flow is commanding and dynamic, but he too can float like a butterfly. There is a touch of finesse to his delivery, making his approach a perfect match for the atmospheric, chiming production from Rah. If Greatness aka Ali has got you antsy for more, you might want to check out the artist’s Restless mixtape, available for free download as of July.
Written by Lucas G. on 09/13/13
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.