Chicago rapper YP might not be a professional boxer, but there are plenty of similarities between him and legendary fighter Muhammad Ali. The lyrical haymakers that YP throws on his latest release, Greatness aka Ali, hit as hard as a knockout blow from The People’s Champion. But that isn’t the only similarity. What always amazed boxing fans about Ali is that, though he was big and powerful, he seemed to glide inside the ring. Respectively, YP’s flow is commanding and dynamic, but he too can float like a butterfly. There is a touch of finesse to his delivery, making his approach a perfect match for the atmospheric, chiming production from Rah. If Greatness aka Ali has got you antsy for more, you might want to check out the artist’s Restless mixtape, available for free download as of July.
Written by Lucas G. on 09/13/13
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Fast Food Music: How Our Hunger for More is Killing Hip-Hop
- Rihanna & Kanye’s “FourFiveSeconds” is a Blue Collar Anthem
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.