As hip-hop heads are well aware, being recognized as a true G isn’t just a matter of spending four years at the University of Hard Knocks and taking home a diploma to hang on your office wall. For one thing, it’s hard to find a suitable wall when your office is the streets. More importantly, ‘hood credentials aren’t earned once and for all, but asserted and subsequently defended against all comers. On YP‘s latest single, the Raekwon-cosigned up-and-comer shows us how it’s done, declaring himself street-Certified and daring anyone to say differently. Jeff Wallace takes a uniquely catchy approach on the production tip, overlaying a syncopated boom-bap rhythm with Chipmunk-sampled “oh”s as the Windy City representative (and freestyle series alum) reminds listeners that, despite being an artist on the rise, he’s got his feet planted firmly on the pavement. Though not slated for inclusion on the currently-untitled follow-up to YP’s Booth-sponsored No Sleep mixtape, this paper-stacking anthem should nonetheless please the artist’s growing fanbase. Keep it locked for the latest tunes, as well as release details on the new project!
Written by richard on 03/31/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Dance With the Devil" (2010)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: Nicki Minaj’s (Kinda Boring) “The Pinkprint”
- Mike WiLL Made-It - Ransom
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.