As hip-hop heads are well aware, being recognized as a true G isn’t just a matter of spending four years at the University of Hard Knocks and taking home a diploma to hang on your office wall. For one thing, it’s hard to find a suitable wall when your office is the streets. More importantly, ‘hood credentials aren’t earned once and for all, but asserted and subsequently defended against all comers. On YP‘s latest single, the Raekwon-cosigned up-and-comer shows us how it’s done, declaring himself street-Certified and daring anyone to say differently. Jeff Wallace takes a uniquely catchy approach on the production tip, overlaying a syncopated boom-bap rhythm with Chipmunk-sampled “oh”s as the Windy City representative (and freestyle series alum) reminds listeners that, despite being an artist on the rise, he’s got his feet planted firmly on the pavement. Though not slated for inclusion on the currently-untitled follow-up to YP’s Booth-sponsored No Sleep mixtape, this paper-stacking anthem should nonetheless please the artist’s growing fanbase. Keep it locked for the latest tunes, as well as release details on the new project!
Written by richard on 03/31/11
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Dance With the Devil" (2010)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Ty Dolla $ign - $ign Language
- Eminem ft. Sia - Guts Over Fear
- Best/Worst of the Week: My Anaconda Don’t Want None, French Mondashian & More
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.