As hip-hop heads are well aware, being recognized as a true G isn’t just a matter of spending four years at the University of Hard Knocks and taking home a diploma to hang on your office wall. For one thing, it’s hard to find a suitable wall when your office is the streets. More importantly, ‘hood credentials aren’t earned once and for all, but asserted and subsequently defended against all comers. On YP‘s latest single, the Raekwon-cosigned up-and-comer shows us how it’s done, declaring himself street-Certified and daring anyone to say differently. Jeff Wallace takes a uniquely catchy approach on the production tip, overlaying a syncopated boom-bap rhythm with Chipmunk-sampled “oh”s as the Windy City representative (and freestyle series alum) reminds listeners that, despite being an artist on the rise, he’s got his feet planted firmly on the pavement. Though not slated for inclusion on the currently-untitled follow-up to YP’s Booth-sponsored No Sleep mixtape, this paper-stacking anthem should nonetheless please the artist’s growing fanbase. Keep it locked for the latest tunes, as well as release details on the new project!
Written by richard on 03/31/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Dance With the Devil" (2010)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Fast Food Music: How Our Hunger for More is Killing Hip-Hop
- Rihanna & Kanye’s “FourFiveSeconds” is a Blue Collar Anthem
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.