First-time featuree Youngs may hail from Normal, Illinois, but readers can rest assured that he’s far from Ordinary (915 miles, to be exact). In fact, I’d say that he’s much closer to Brilliant. His mic skills are nothing to scoff at either, as evidenced by this track off his latest EP. On Him & Her, the up-and-comer tells the stories of a fella who turns to crime to provide for his girl and a rebellious trust-fund baby whose fascination with the ‘hood’ lifestyle ultimately lands her in hot water with the law. Well, that’s the short version; with Young’s densely-packed bars and SoulTree‘s bombastic funk-soul samples jostling for listeners’ attention, this record’s difficult to fully digest the first time around, but those who put in the repeat spins necessary to follow the winding narrative will undoubtedly find Him & Her a rewarding listen. If the project’s title is any indication, those who like what they’re hearing can find plenty more lyrically insightful street storytelling on the artist’s Once Upon a Time EP, released January 18 and available now in stores and online.
Written by richard on 02/5/10
Submit your Rating
Rarebreed Extended Family
First DJ Booth Appearance:
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Epic Fail: Bobby Shmurda’s Label Cashed In & Then Bailed Out
- Open Mic: Why Rappers Need to Play Small Shows
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.