First-time featuree Youngs may hail from Normal, Illinois, but readers can rest assured that he’s far from Ordinary (915 miles, to be exact). In fact, I’d say that he’s much closer to Brilliant. His mic skills are nothing to scoff at either, as evidenced by this track off his latest EP. On Him & Her, the up-and-comer tells the stories of a fella who turns to crime to provide for his girl and a rebellious trust-fund baby whose fascination with the ‘hood’ lifestyle ultimately lands her in hot water with the law. Well, that’s the short version; with Young’s densely-packed bars and SoulTree‘s bombastic funk-soul samples jostling for listeners’ attention, this record’s difficult to fully digest the first time around, but those who put in the repeat spins necessary to follow the winding narrative will undoubtedly find Him & Her a rewarding listen. If the project’s title is any indication, those who like what they’re hearing can find plenty more lyrically insightful street storytelling on the artist’s Once Upon a Time EP, released January 18 and available now in stores and online.
Written by richard on 02/5/10
Submit your Rating
Rarebreed Extended Family
First DJ Booth Appearance:
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DeJ Loaf - Sell Sole
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- Freddie Gibbs x Madlib ft. Action Bronson, Joey BadA$$ & Ransom - Knicks (Remix)
- All 79 Things Chance the Rapper Hates on “No Better Blues”
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Sirah - Lilies
- ShayGray - No Sense of Accomplishment
- F*ck Norms: Why the Critics Are Wrong About Yung Lean
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.