First-time featuree Youngs may hail from Normal, Illinois, but readers can rest assured that he’s far from Ordinary (915 miles, to be exact). In fact, I’d say that he’s much closer to Brilliant. His mic skills are nothing to scoff at either, as evidenced by this track off his latest EP. On Him & Her, the up-and-comer tells the stories of a fella who turns to crime to provide for his girl and a rebellious trust-fund baby whose fascination with the ‘hood’ lifestyle ultimately lands her in hot water with the law. Well, that’s the short version; with Young’s densely-packed bars and SoulTree‘s bombastic funk-soul samples jostling for listeners’ attention, this record’s difficult to fully digest the first time around, but those who put in the repeat spins necessary to follow the winding narrative will undoubtedly find Him & Her a rewarding listen. If the project’s title is any indication, those who like what they’re hearing can find plenty more lyrically insightful street storytelling on the artist’s Once Upon a Time EP, released January 18 and available now in stores and online.
Written by richard on 02/5/10
Submit your Rating
Rarebreed Extended Family
First DJ Booth Appearance:
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (1/23)
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- Rap Lines That Make No Fucking Sense: The Comeback
- Saba, The Native Son #TopProspects
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.