First-time featuree Youngs may hail from Normal, Illinois, but readers can rest assured that he’s far from Ordinary (915 miles, to be exact). In fact, I’d say that he’s much closer to Brilliant. His mic skills are nothing to scoff at either, as evidenced by this track off his latest EP. On Him & Her, the up-and-comer tells the stories of a fella who turns to crime to provide for his girl and a rebellious trust-fund baby whose fascination with the ‘hood’ lifestyle ultimately lands her in hot water with the law. Well, that’s the short version; with Young’s densely-packed bars and SoulTree‘s bombastic funk-soul samples jostling for listeners’ attention, this record’s difficult to fully digest the first time around, but those who put in the repeat spins necessary to follow the winding narrative will undoubtedly find Him & Her a rewarding listen. If the project’s title is any indication, those who like what they’re hearing can find plenty more lyrically insightful street storytelling on the artist’s Once Upon a Time EP, released January 18 and available now in stores and online.
Written by richard on 02/5/10
Submit your Rating
Rarebreed Extended Family
First DJ Booth Appearance:
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Beyond the Lights: Machine Gun Kelly Learns to Act Like Himself
- Reggie Bonds - Stream of Consciousness Pt. 1
- Eminem Vs. DJ Whoo Kid - Shady Classics
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.