Those who haven’t set foot in the North Star State might be surprised to hear that, though our winters are about as frigid as you would expect, Minnesota also boasts some absolutely beautiful (if occasionally sweltering) summer weather. On This My Jam, installment #9 in his Booth-exclusive Counting Sheep series, Young Son calls upon a few local talents to craft a fittingly breezy soundtrack to long, lazy summer days in the Mini-Apple. First to flow over The Edator‘s mellow, synth-driven instrumental, Young Son comes with all the amicable, wordplay-driven lyricism fans have come to expect. Cay-Riss brings a bouncier feel to the track’s middle section, and Slink Proper blazes the back end, switching up the flow with an energetic closing verse. Complete with a smooth hook by R&B singer and MUSIC2DREAM2 team member Christina (who will appear on Young Son’s forthcoming LP), this record is a shoo-in for summer-jam mix-CD rotation. Young Son’s weekly series will conclude next Tuesday, June 9th; watch for his DJBooth.net & DJ Advance-hosted Counting Sheep mixtape to hit our front page a week later, on the 16th. Dreamer’s Poetry, the emcee’s second studio album, is scheduled to follow in mid-to-late summer.
Written by richard on 06/1/09
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"A Timeless Classic" (2007)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Kanye Thinks Drake is #1 Right Now - Is He Right? (Rap Power Rankings)
- The Weeknd - King of the Fall
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Mick Jenkins, The Conscience #TopProspects
- Jeremih x Shlohmo - No More EP
- Real Recognize Real: GoldLink on Loving Lil Bibby, Shaq & Robots
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (June 2014)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.