Tom’s Diner is one of those songs that was made to be sampled—whether or not you recognize the title, Suzanne Vega‘s “Dat-da-da-da, Dat-da-da-da” hook is likely burned into your memory. Inspired by the song’s interpolation on 2Pac‘s Dopefiend’s Diner, Young Son has snatched up that famously catchy snippet from the hit DNA remix for the fourth entry in his Booth-exclusive Counting Sheep series. Tha Diner finds the artist sitting at a coffee shop, observing his surroundings in a manner reminiscent of the Booth-acclaimed My Bus Ride Home, but the plot thickens with the introduction of a potential love interest in verse two—I won’t spoil the rest, but I will say that the incredibly clever way in which Young Son spins his tale around Vega’s verses makes Tha Diner worth at least two listens. Stay tuned for more exclusive cuts every Tuesday leading up to the June 9th release of Young Son’s sophomore album, Dreamer’s Poetry.
Written by richard on 04/27/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"A Timeless Classic" (2007)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Lupe Fiasco ft. PJ - Mazinger
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (October 2014)
- Lil Wayne ft. The LOX - Gotti
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (10/27)
- Drake - 6 God EP
- Run the Jewels - RTJ2
- T.I. - Paperwork: The Motion Picture
- Shady XV: Eminem is Dropping a New Album & I Don’t Care
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.