Tom’s Diner is one of those songs that was made to be sampled—whether or not you recognize the title, Suzanne Vega‘s “Dat-da-da-da, Dat-da-da-da” hook is likely burned into your memory. Inspired by the song’s interpolation on 2Pac‘s Dopefiend’s Diner, Young Son has snatched up that famously catchy snippet from the hit DNA remix for the fourth entry in his Booth-exclusive Counting Sheep series. Tha Diner finds the artist sitting at a coffee shop, observing his surroundings in a manner reminiscent of the Booth-acclaimed My Bus Ride Home, but the plot thickens with the introduction of a potential love interest in verse two—I won’t spoil the rest, but I will say that the incredibly clever way in which Young Son spins his tale around Vega’s verses makes Tha Diner worth at least two listens. Stay tuned for more exclusive cuts every Tuesday leading up to the June 9th release of Young Son’s sophomore album, Dreamer’s Poetry.
Written by richard on 04/27/09
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"A Timeless Classic" (2007)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 2
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (July 2014)
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- It’s Electric: An EDM Guide For the Hip-Hop Head
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.