Tom’s Diner is one of those songs that was made to be sampled—whether or not you recognize the title, Suzanne Vega‘s “Dat-da-da-da, Dat-da-da-da” hook is likely burned into your memory. Inspired by the song’s interpolation on 2Pac‘s Dopefiend’s Diner, Young Son has snatched up that famously catchy snippet from the hit DNA remix for the fourth entry in his Booth-exclusive Counting Sheep series. Tha Diner finds the artist sitting at a coffee shop, observing his surroundings in a manner reminiscent of the Booth-acclaimed My Bus Ride Home, but the plot thickens with the introduction of a potential love interest in verse two—I won’t spoil the rest, but I will say that the incredibly clever way in which Young Son spins his tale around Vega’s verses makes Tha Diner worth at least two listens. Stay tuned for more exclusive cuts every Tuesday leading up to the June 9th release of Young Son’s sophomore album, Dreamer’s Poetry.
Written by richard on 04/27/09
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"A Timeless Classic" (2007)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- After Wiz Khalifa’s “Blacc Hollywood”, What Does a Number One Album Mean?
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)