Tom’s Diner is one of those songs that was made to be sampled—whether or not you recognize the title, Suzanne Vega‘s “Dat-da-da-da, Dat-da-da-da” hook is likely burned into your memory. Inspired by the song’s interpolation on 2Pac‘s Dopefiend’s Diner, Young Son has snatched up that famously catchy snippet from the hit DNA remix for the fourth entry in his Booth-exclusive Counting Sheep series. Tha Diner finds the artist sitting at a coffee shop, observing his surroundings in a manner reminiscent of the Booth-acclaimed My Bus Ride Home, but the plot thickens with the introduction of a potential love interest in verse two—I won’t spoil the rest, but I will say that the incredibly clever way in which Young Son spins his tale around Vega’s verses makes Tha Diner worth at least two listens. Stay tuned for more exclusive cuts every Tuesday leading up to the June 9th release of Young Son’s sophomore album, Dreamer’s Poetry.
Written by richard on 04/27/09
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"A Timeless Classic" (2007)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Interview With a “White Rapper”: Rittz on Race, Respect & Hip-Hop
- Statik Selektah - What Goes Around
- Wiz Khalifa - Blacc Hollywood
- Top 20 Hip Hop / R&B Songs Chart (August 18, 2014)
- Lupe Fiasco Puts Ratchet Appeal With a Concept “Next To It”
- Kanye West is Right, the Media is the Fucking Worst
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.