In the first installment of his Booth-exclusive Counting Sheep… Countdown to Dreamer’s Poetry Series, indie emcee and site member Young Son reminds hip-hop lovers that social responsibility starts in the whip. In a decidedly unconventional twist on the street banger formula, the Minneapolis up-and-comer serves up a hard-hitting cut meant to be enjoyed with your Speaks Down Low. Delivering more of the insightful, left-of-center lyricism fans have come to expect, he addresses the real-life consequences of stereotypical “gangster” behavior—in his own words, “Everybody always wants to be loud, boisterous and ignorant rolling thru the block, and that ultimately leads to conflict.“ Producer Teddy Roxpin‘s keyboard and handclap instrumental, of course, demands to be played full-blast, but be considerate and save that for headphone listening sessions (try not to damage your hearing, though). Listeners can look forward to more exclusive cuts every Tuesday leading up to the May release of Young Son’s sophomore studio album, Dreamer’s Poetry.
Written by richard on 04/6/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"A Timeless Classic" (2007)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- Rap Quiz: Bet You Can’t Guess The Album Cover Pt. 6
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- 1 Listen Album Review: Drake’s “If You’re Reading This It’s Too Late”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.