In the first installment of his Booth-exclusive Counting Sheep… Countdown to Dreamer’s Poetry Series, indie emcee and site member Young Son reminds hip-hop lovers that social responsibility starts in the whip. In a decidedly unconventional twist on the street banger formula, the Minneapolis up-and-comer serves up a hard-hitting cut meant to be enjoyed with your Speaks Down Low. Delivering more of the insightful, left-of-center lyricism fans have come to expect, he addresses the real-life consequences of stereotypical “gangster” behavior—in his own words, “Everybody always wants to be loud, boisterous and ignorant rolling thru the block, and that ultimately leads to conflict.“ Producer Teddy Roxpin‘s keyboard and handclap instrumental, of course, demands to be played full-blast, but be considerate and save that for headphone listening sessions (try not to damage your hearing, though). Listeners can look forward to more exclusive cuts every Tuesday leading up to the May release of Young Son’s sophomore studio album, Dreamer’s Poetry.
Written by richard on 04/6/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"A Timeless Classic" (2007)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- T.I. ft. Young Thug, Lil Wayne & Jeezy - About The Money (Remix)
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Nikki Jean - Haile Selassie
- Every Logic Song We’ve Ever Featured
- Shady XV: Eminem is Dropping a New Album & I Don’t Care
- S1 Confirms Kanye West Working on New Album, Songs Are “Feel Good” #A3CProAudio
- 5 Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed (10/20)
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.