With the nuanced delivery Young Son brings to much of his recorded work, it might not be immediately apparent that, in addition to inspiring deep thoughts during headphone listening sessions, he can Git Live with the very best of them. I’ve had the privilege of seeing this side of the Minneapolis up-and-comer firsthand, but those who haven’t made it to one of his shows can get a taste of what I’m talking about by listening to the third entry in his Booth-exclusive Counting Sheep series. Inspired by performance-style records by the legendary likes of Run DMC and the Fat Boys, Git Live finds Young Son spitting high-energy rhymes over a hard-hitting, percussion and synth instrumental by Rhino. Fellow Twin Cities artist HYPEL amps up the adrenaline-pumping atmosphere yet further by stepping into the classic ‘hype man’ role. Those who like what they hear should stay tuned for more exclusive cuts every Tuesday leading up to the June 9th release of Young Son’s sophomore album, Dreamer’s Poetry.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"A Timeless Classic" (2007)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Drama x Don Cannon x Trendsetter Sense - The Boondocks Mixtape (Season 4)
- Mick Jenkins - Steam
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Chart (April 14, 2014)
- Future - Honest LP
- Nas - Illmatic XX
- Dizzy Wright - State of Mind EP
- Locksmith - A Thousand Cuts
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.