With the nuanced delivery Young Son brings to much of his recorded work, it might not be immediately apparent that, in addition to inspiring deep thoughts during headphone listening sessions, he can Git Live with the very best of them. I’ve had the privilege of seeing this side of the Minneapolis up-and-comer firsthand, but those who haven’t made it to one of his shows can get a taste of what I’m talking about by listening to the third entry in his Booth-exclusive Counting Sheep series. Inspired by performance-style records by the legendary likes of Run DMC and the Fat Boys, Git Live finds Young Son spitting high-energy rhymes over a hard-hitting, percussion and synth instrumental by Rhino. Fellow Twin Cities artist HYPEL amps up the adrenaline-pumping atmosphere yet further by stepping into the classic ‘hype man’ role. Those who like what they hear should stay tuned for more exclusive cuts every Tuesday leading up to the June 9th release of Young Son’s sophomore album, Dreamer’s Poetry.
Written by richard on 04/20/09
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"A Timeless Classic" (2007)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (8/22)
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- Run The Jewels - Blockbuster Night (Part 1)
- T.I. ft. Skylar Grey - New National Anthem
- Interview With a “White Rapper”: Rittz on Race, Respect & Hip-Hop
- Wiz Khalifa - Blacc Hollywood
- Kanye West is Right, the Media is the Fucking Worst
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.