The fifth installment of Young Son‘s Booth-exclusive Counting Sheep series represents a concept two years in the making—since ‘07, the reader-acclaimed up-and-comer has been itching to flip City Is Mine, a record off Drake’s Room for Improvement mixtape, into a tribute to his (and my) hometown. Now that he’s gotten his hands on Boi-1da‘s sparse, synth-driven instrumental, he’s finally ready to rep “M-I-double-N-E-A-P-O-L-I-S” to the fullest. As Drake did on the original, MH keeps the focus on entertaining lyricism, lacing his verses with chuckle-inducing lines like “I stay connected to my city like a unibrow.” And, by the way, that MacGyver name-drop was no accident—Richard Dean Anderson is Twin Cities-born and raised (in fact, he and I attended the same high school). Though YS’ sophomore LP, Dreamer’s Poetry, has been pushed back to a yet-unannounced June drop date, fans can still look forward to more exclusive cuts every Tuesday, as well a Booth-sponsored Counting Sheep mixtape compiling all the records in his series in addition to new freestyles, original material, and an interview on June 12th.
Written by richard on 05/4/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"A Timeless Classic" (2007)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: Nicki Minaj’s (Kinda Boring) “The Pinkprint”
- Mike WiLL Made-It - Ransom
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.