The fifth installment of Young Son‘s Booth-exclusive Counting Sheep series represents a concept two years in the making—since ‘07, the reader-acclaimed up-and-comer has been itching to flip City Is Mine, a record off Drake’s Room for Improvement mixtape, into a tribute to his (and my) hometown. Now that he’s gotten his hands on Boi-1da‘s sparse, synth-driven instrumental, he’s finally ready to rep “M-I-double-N-E-A-P-O-L-I-S” to the fullest. As Drake did on the original, MH keeps the focus on entertaining lyricism, lacing his verses with chuckle-inducing lines like “I stay connected to my city like a unibrow.” And, by the way, that MacGyver name-drop was no accident—Richard Dean Anderson is Twin Cities-born and raised (in fact, he and I attended the same high school). Though YS’ sophomore LP, Dreamer’s Poetry, has been pushed back to a yet-unannounced June drop date, fans can still look forward to more exclusive cuts every Tuesday, as well a Booth-sponsored Counting Sheep mixtape compiling all the records in his series in addition to new freestyles, original material, and an interview on June 12th.
Listen to More: Mike Dreams
Written by richard on 05/4/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"A Timeless Classic" (2007)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Billy Blue - Pu$$y
- Red Cup Nation ft. Tommy Parker - Girls
- Lil Dicky - Lemme Freak
- Yelawolf - Till It’s Gone
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Rick Ross ft. Project Pat - Elvis Presley Blvd.
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.