The fifth installment of Young Son‘s Booth-exclusive Counting Sheep series represents a concept two years in the making—since ‘07, the reader-acclaimed up-and-comer has been itching to flip City Is Mine, a record off Drake’s Room for Improvement mixtape, into a tribute to his (and my) hometown. Now that he’s gotten his hands on Boi-1da‘s sparse, synth-driven instrumental, he’s finally ready to rep “M-I-double-N-E-A-P-O-L-I-S” to the fullest. As Drake did on the original, MH keeps the focus on entertaining lyricism, lacing his verses with chuckle-inducing lines like “I stay connected to my city like a unibrow.” And, by the way, that MacGyver name-drop was no accident—Richard Dean Anderson is Twin Cities-born and raised (in fact, he and I attended the same high school). Though YS’ sophomore LP, Dreamer’s Poetry, has been pushed back to a yet-unannounced June drop date, fans can still look forward to more exclusive cuts every Tuesday, as well a Booth-sponsored Counting Sheep mixtape compiling all the records in his series in addition to new freestyles, original material, and an interview on June 12th.
Listen to More: Mike Dreams Written by richard
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"A Timeless Classic" (2007)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Drama x Don Cannon x Trendsetter Sense - The Boondocks Mixtape (Season 4)
- Mick Jenkins - Steam
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Chart (April 14, 2014)
- Future - Honest LP
- Nas - Illmatic XX
- Dizzy Wright - State of Mind EP
- Locksmith - A Thousand Cuts
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.