Plenty of underground emcees pay lip service to old-school values, but relatively few truly use their music to lead by example, and even fewer seem able to keep listeners entertained while doing so. Those who follow Booth favorite Young Son know that he’s one of this all-too-rare breed—if you’re not familiar with his work, take a listen to entry number six in his Booth-exclusive Counting Sheep series and you’ll be convinced. Showcasing his unmistakable Brand New Vintage swag, the Minneapolis native fills all us guys in on his secret to success with the fairer sex: to make the ladies swoon, you’ve simply got to… [drumroll, please]... be confident, behave like a gentleman, and treat them with respect—crazy, huh? MH’s engaging, ever-so-smooth rhymes here are as refreshing as a cool breeze, as is Cold Legistics’ nostalgic sample work, and it it all adds up to a sunny, feel-good track retro-minded readers will find irresistible. Fans can look forward to more exclusive records from Young Son each Tuesday leading up to the June release of his sophomore studio album, Dreamer’s Poetry; also stay tuned for the emcee’s Booth-sponsored Counting Sheep mixtape, set to drop June 12th.
Written by richard on 05/11/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"A Timeless Classic" (2007)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- Rap Lines That Make No Fucking Sense: The Comeback
- 1 Listen Album Review: Lupe Fiasco’s “Tetsuo & Youth” (Lupe Back)
- Inside the Conspiracy Theory World of Childish Gambino’s Music Videos
- KIDD - Whipped Cream
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.