Plenty of underground emcees pay lip service to old-school values, but relatively few truly use their music to lead by example, and even fewer seem able to keep listeners entertained while doing so. Those who follow Booth favorite Young Son know that he’s one of this all-too-rare breed—if you’re not familiar with his work, take a listen to entry number six in his Booth-exclusive Counting Sheep series and you’ll be convinced. Showcasing his unmistakable Brand New Vintage swag, the Minneapolis native fills all us guys in on his secret to success with the fairer sex: to make the ladies swoon, you’ve simply got to… [drumroll, please]... be confident, behave like a gentleman, and treat them with respect—crazy, huh? MH’s engaging, ever-so-smooth rhymes here are as refreshing as a cool breeze, as is Cold Legistics’ nostalgic sample work, and it it all adds up to a sunny, feel-good track retro-minded readers will find irresistible. Fans can look forward to more exclusive records from Young Son each Tuesday leading up to the June release of his sophomore studio album, Dreamer’s Poetry; also stay tuned for the emcee’s Booth-sponsored Counting Sheep mixtape, set to drop June 12th.
Written by richard on 05/11/09
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"A Timeless Classic" (2007)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Best/Worst of the Week: My Anaconda Don’t Want None, French Mondashian & More
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (8/22)
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- Run The Jewels - Blockbuster Night (Part 1)
- T.I. ft. Skylar Grey - New National Anthem
- Interview With a “White Rapper”: Rittz on Race, Respect & Hip-Hop
- Wiz Khalifa - Blacc Hollywood
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.