Reviewing records like this is always a bittersweet experience. While I rave about the sheer dopeness of the song, in the back of my mind I know I have to wait months before I taste more - Young Scolla‘s Seconds Away album is scheduled to drop sometime in June. Damn you, Scolla. But anyways…produced by Detroit’s Big Soj, Skinny Kid is a record about enduring adversity and beating mediocrity. Hey, the message never gets old. The dramatic arrangement throbs as Scolla tells a story of troubled upbringings and high hopes: “S**t I was fifteen working so my brother ate / tryng to react like Bengay to my mother’s aches.” The Midwest emcee displays some pretty serious storytelling skills here, while maintaining a steady-driving flow. The always-emphatic Machine Gun Kelly follows, pouncing on the second verse with his charismatic delivery and honest rhymes. The chorus ties this record up in a pretty little knot, summing up the overall message in a well-written hook: “Raised in a city where the skinny kid dies…Life was ugly but look I made it.” For more heavyweight rhymes from these welterweight emcees, keep it locked.
Written by CourtlandHH on 05/9/11
Submit your Rating
Fab 5 ENT/USR
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"If I Was With You" (2009)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- T.I. ft. Young Thug, Lil Wayne & Jeezy - About The Money (Remix)
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Nikki Jean - Haile Selassie
- Every Logic Song We’ve Ever Featured
- Shady XV: Eminem is Dropping a New Album & I Don’t Care
- S1 Confirms Kanye West Working on New Album, Songs Are “Feel Good” #A3CProAudio
- 5 Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed (10/20)
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.