Every relationship is different, but true love always seems to start the same way: two people meet, they hit it off, their brains turn into amphetamine factories, and they go temporarily insane. Yep, I’m a romantic at heart. It’s true, though: even the keenest Young Scolla can be ambushed by the potent cocktail of hormones and neurotransmitters that turns simple attraction into obsession. On his latest single (and Booth debut) If I Was With You, the Motown up-and-comer exhibits many of the telltale signs of love-sickness—chronic melisma, sparkling vocal harmonies, vivid lyrical fantasies…—as he professes his feelings to a woman still stinging in the wake of a prior heartbreak. Though windchimes are conspicuously absent, beatsmith Syrenn‘s combination of mellow, downtempo percussion and delicate ivory-tinkling is a dead giveaway. Scolla switches gears on the back end, delivering a rapped verse that implies the romance in question may meet an unhappy end, but leaves the particulars ambiguous. This heartfelt cut is sure to strike a chord with R&B-fanatics currently in love’s grip, as well as those who just enjoy a good slow jam. In any case, fans can hear more from Young Scolla on The TPT Experience, out today.
Listen to More: Young Scolla
Written by richard on 06/29/09
You Might Like...
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)