Every relationship is different, but true love always seems to start the same way: two people meet, they hit it off, their brains turn into amphetamine factories, and they go temporarily insane. Yep, I’m a romantic at heart. It’s true, though: even the keenest Young Scolla can be ambushed by the potent cocktail of hormones and neurotransmitters that turns simple attraction into obsession. On his latest single (and Booth debut) If I Was With You, the Motown up-and-comer exhibits many of the telltale signs of love-sickness—chronic melisma, sparkling vocal harmonies, vivid lyrical fantasies…—as he professes his feelings to a woman still stinging in the wake of a prior heartbreak. Though windchimes are conspicuously absent, beatsmith Syrenn‘s combination of mellow, downtempo percussion and delicate ivory-tinkling is a dead giveaway. Scolla switches gears on the back end, delivering a rapped verse that implies the romance in question may meet an unhappy end, but leaves the particulars ambiguous. This heartfelt cut is sure to strike a chord with R&B-fanatics currently in love’s grip, as well as those who just enjoy a good slow jam. In any case, fans can hear more from Young Scolla on The TPT Experience, out today.
Listen to More: Young Scolla Written by richard
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Logic ft. Big Sean - Alright
- Top Remixes of the Month [April 2014]
- Asher Roth - Retrohash
- Iggy Azalea - The New Classic
- Joyner Lucas - Don’t Ask for Nothin
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Songs Chart (April 21, 2014)
- Behind The Boards Interview Series: Statik Selektah
- Future - Honest LP
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Whoo Kid Breaks Down His Essential DJ Set-Up
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.