Every relationship is different, but true love always seems to start the same way: two people meet, they hit it off, their brains turn into amphetamine factories, and they go temporarily insane. Yep, I’m a romantic at heart. It’s true, though: even the keenest Young Scolla can be ambushed by the potent cocktail of hormones and neurotransmitters that turns simple attraction into obsession. On his latest single (and Booth debut) If I Was With You, the Motown up-and-comer exhibits many of the telltale signs of love-sickness—chronic melisma, sparkling vocal harmonies, vivid lyrical fantasies…—as he professes his feelings to a woman still stinging in the wake of a prior heartbreak. Though windchimes are conspicuously absent, beatsmith Syrenn‘s combination of mellow, downtempo percussion and delicate ivory-tinkling is a dead giveaway. Scolla switches gears on the back end, delivering a rapped verse that implies the romance in question may meet an unhappy end, but leaves the particulars ambiguous. This heartfelt cut is sure to strike a chord with R&B-fanatics currently in love’s grip, as well as those who just enjoy a good slow jam. In any case, fans can hear more from Young Scolla on The TPT Experience, out today.
Written by richard on 06/29/09
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- RyattFienix - Ryse of the Fienix
- Jaden Smith - Cool Tape Vol. 2
- 5 Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed (11/17)
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “L.A. vs. Everybody”?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.