Every relationship is different, but true love always seems to start the same way: two people meet, they hit it off, their brains turn into amphetamine factories, and they go temporarily insane. Yep, I’m a romantic at heart. It’s true, though: even the keenest Young Scolla can be ambushed by the potent cocktail of hormones and neurotransmitters that turns simple attraction into obsession. On his latest single (and Booth debut) If I Was With You, the Motown up-and-comer exhibits many of the telltale signs of love-sickness—chronic melisma, sparkling vocal harmonies, vivid lyrical fantasies…—as he professes his feelings to a woman still stinging in the wake of a prior heartbreak. Though windchimes are conspicuously absent, beatsmith Syrenn‘s combination of mellow, downtempo percussion and delicate ivory-tinkling is a dead giveaway. Scolla switches gears on the back end, delivering a rapped verse that implies the romance in question may meet an unhappy end, but leaves the particulars ambiguous. This heartfelt cut is sure to strike a chord with R&B-fanatics currently in love’s grip, as well as those who just enjoy a good slow jam. In any case, fans can hear more from Young Scolla on The TPT Experience, out today.
Written by richard on 06/29/09
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Lupe Fiasco ft. PJ - Mazinger
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (October 2014)
- Lil Wayne ft. The LOX - Gotti
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (10/27)
- Drake - 6 God EP
- Run the Jewels - RTJ2
- T.I. - Paperwork: The Motion Picture
- Shady XV: Eminem is Dropping a New Album & I Don’t Care
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.