A potluck is a gathering of people where each person or group of people contributes a dish of food to be shared among the group. While I can’t take credit for that definition (thanks Bing), the word itself can be easily applied to Young Scolla’s new Gimme a Sign. This figurative melting pot of creativity finds Scolla and his collaborators, Boaz and S.Money, giving a clear indication of their talents as they lace an eclectic beat (co-produced by the headliner and Big Soji) with rhymes centered around the more somber parts of everyday life: “I know that loss is just another learned lesson, that’s why I need a sign to know that I’ve made progression.” If this satisfied your musical appetite, be sure to check out the Benzi-hosted and DJBooth/Refined Hype/Rocksmith-sponsored Potluck mixtape, dropping May 21st.
Written by Sigurd on 04/13/10
Submit your Rating
Fab 5 ENT/USR
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"If I Was With You" (2009)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.