I’ll be honest. I had heard Detroit microphone controller Young Scolla before, most recently on the Booth approved Get By – but I didn’t truly appreciate the man’s skills and artistic vision until I heard Decisions. Coming off his highly recommended Escaping Reality EP, Decisions is a deeply relatable storytelling track grounded by some deeply soulful, freshly complex production from Tecknowledgy. Lyrically Scolla embodies the struggles of several ordinary people, from a young man crushed by student loans to a mother forced to strip to feed her children, a heavy task that he pulls off with skill: “Everyone ain’t so lucky / I’m under the impression only God can judge me / When life gets ugly that’s when crime gets beautiful.” I don’t think we have a number one hit on our hands, but we do have something even better; truly quality music. For more hip-hop goodness, be sure to download Scolla’s Escaping Reality free EP, available now. You won’t regret it. I promise.
Written by Nathan S. on 02/17/10
Submit your Rating
Fab 5 ENT/USR
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"If I Was With You" (2009)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.