I’ll be honest. I had heard Detroit microphone controller Young Scolla before, most recently on the Booth approved Get By – but I didn’t truly appreciate the man’s skills and artistic vision until I heard Decisions. Coming off his highly recommended Escaping Reality EP, Decisions is a deeply relatable storytelling track grounded by some deeply soulful, freshly complex production from Tecknowledgy. Lyrically Scolla embodies the struggles of several ordinary people, from a young man crushed by student loans to a mother forced to strip to feed her children, a heavy task that he pulls off with skill: “Everyone ain’t so lucky / I’m under the impression only God can judge me / When life gets ugly that’s when crime gets beautiful.” I don’t think we have a number one hit on our hands, but we do have something even better; truly quality music. For more hip-hop goodness, be sure to download Scolla’s Escaping Reality free EP, available now. You won’t regret it. I promise.
Written by Nathan S. on 02/17/10
Submit your Rating
Fab 5 ENT/USR
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"If I Was With You" (2009)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Fast Food Music: How Our Hunger for More is Killing Hip-Hop
- Rihanna & Kanye’s “FourFiveSeconds” is a Blue Collar Anthem
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.