After six whole days without a new feature from Young Scolla, fans of the Motown-repping Booth fave may be wondering whether the Motown-representative is still Alive and kicking. If that’s the case, allow me to reassure you: not only is he still breathing but, as he informs us on the final leak off his forthcoming full-length, he’s “more alive than [he’s] ever been.” Over Atlanta beat crew SMKA‘s lush instrumental, a genre-bending affair that ping-pongs between laid-back synth verses and a power-ballad chorus, the freestyle series alumnus proves his self-assessment right, dropping bars that drip with self-assured energy and towering ambition: “I’m living out the tale that’s gon’ be told when we have passed. / Like the legend of the Loch Ness or Mr. Beggar Vance / You think I’m a beast now, check me out as I advance.” As if his colossal verses weren’t enough, Scolla dials it back for a delicate bridge, somehow managing to make “I’m killin’ the game.” sound silky-smooth. Craving more? Young Scolla’s long-delayed debut set, Seconds Away, is set to drop Tuesday, August 30, and the artist will be streaming the entire set live on uStream the evening prior.
Written by richard on 08/25/11
Submit your Rating
Fab 5 ENT/USR
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"If I Was With You" (2009)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 2 Chainz ft. Young Thug - Dresser (Lil Boy)
- Jennifer Lopez ft. Iggy Azalea - Booty (Remix)
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Billy Blue - Pu$$y
- Lil Dicky - Lemme Freak
- Yelawolf - Till It’s Gone
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.