Regrets, we’ve all got a few. Whereas those who grew up in relative comfort tend to rue the risks we didn’t take - not making things work with that perfect guy or girl, not seizing the opportunity to pursue a grand ambition, etc. - it’s a different story for those who, like Young Riot, came up in circumstances where one false move could mean catching a bullet. On his latest promo single (a Booth-exclusive world premiere!), the Boston representative and a couple equally seasoned street denizens dust off a few memories that haunt each of them to this day, fantasizing about how things would have gone down were they able to Do It over Again. After an opener which finds the headliner reminiscing about an old friend in the pen, Da Drout grabs the mic to lace D Spellz’ moody street boardwork with bars stressing the dangers of consorting with snitches, and Sean Hines dedicates his closing 16 to a close homie who fell victim to a drive-by shooting. A sobering (but ear-pleasing) look into a world where life is cheap, this reflective jam is not attached to any forthcoming project. Those feeling it, however, can hear more from Riot on 2011’s Y.O.M.P. mixtape, still available for streaming and download in the Booth.
Written by richard on 04/1/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Young Elevatin' Successful" (2011)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.