Make sure you’re sitting down, because this doesn’t happen often. Ready? I was wrong. Back when I wrote my review of Jeezy’s The Recession I said he was a hip-hop action hero, big on muscle but short on depth. Despite my haterism, Jeezy has been slowly but surely improving his emcee abilities, as evidenced by his new cut I Got This (Don’t Worry). Over some soulful production from producer Beewirks, the Snowman continues his march to become the hood’s truest representative, telling his people not to worry, he’s got them taken care of. Now I’m not saying the man is suddenly Nas, he does rhyme “ni**er” with “ni**er” about 47 times, but his skills behind the mic have undeniably improved: “The only thing they ever sold was they soul.” Does the Booth agree? I Got This is off Jeezy’s upcoming album Thug Motivations 103, which currently has no release date.
Written by Nathan S. on 10/5/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Grew Up a Screw Up" (2006)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- D’Angelo Changed My Life & “Black Messiah” is Already a Classic
- J. Cole is the Most Important Voice in Music
- 2014, The Year I Learned to Say Fuck the Police
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.