First things first. Yes, Young Duece is not one but two people and, no, that isn’t a misspelling—it’s “Duece,” not “Deuce.” Those preliminary points aside, Booth debut The Growth should tell you all you need to know about Previn “PJ” Ricks and George “Kidd Flow” Clark, III. Making its world premiere right here on our front page, The Growth finds the Ohio rapper/producers offering their soon-to-be-fans in the Booth a little insight into what makes them tick. Over Nu Theory‘s laid-back sample work, drawn from funk group Bloodstone’s oft-flipped Go on and Cry, the duo enlighten us as to their priorities, explaining that, if it comes down to fame versus fortune, they’ll choose the latter any day of the week. It’s not a matter of copping fly sh*t, but rather of being justly reimbursed for the blood, sweat and tears they’ve poured into their hustle: “I ain’t tryin’ to stunt, just tryin’ to play a big role / Tryin’a be rewarded for extraordinary sh*t, yo… Don’t wanna make it rain but rather lift umbrellas, G / I work hard for my celery.” Want to support Young Duece’s hustle, and hear some dope music in the process? You’ll get your chance this March, when their Back From the Future mixtape arrives on the ‘net.
Written by richard on 01/19/12
Submit your Rating
This is the first song featured on DJBooth from this artist. If you would like to hear more, be sure to rate and comment!
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- Best/Worst of the Week: Wale & Seinfeld, Kendrick on “SNL” & More
- Isaiah Rashad’s “Cilvia Demo” vs. Mick Jenkins’ “The Water[s]”
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.