Following in the footsteps of such Booth favorites as Mike Dreams (formerly known as Young Son) and Jeff Chery (formerly known as Pay$0z), I Am Us emcee Cause has traded in his dusty old stage name for a fresh new one. As evidenced by Stand Out, the artist’s first track released under his God-given name of YONAS, the change was accompanied by a good deal of soul-searching. Over Sean Divine‘s pensive piano-loop instrumental, the up-and-comer reflects on his motivations for making music, as well as the countless obstacles that stand in the way of his journey to the top – from haters and gold-digging groupies to his self-doubt and preoccupation with fame. Needless to say, the emcee sounds just as dope and insightful by his new name as he did by the old (if not more). Readers digging this introspective, lyrically astute jam won’t want to miss the fresh material YONAS will showcase on his new street album, SEVEN; scheduled to hit the ‘net sometime this spring.
Written by richard on 02/25/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"In Too Deep" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.