Following in the footsteps of such Booth favorites as Mike Dreams (formerly known as Young Son) and Jeff Chery (formerly known as Pay$0z), I Am Us emcee Cause has traded in his dusty old stage name for a fresh new one. As evidenced by Stand Out, the artist’s first track released under his God-given name of YONAS, the change was accompanied by a good deal of soul-searching. Over Sean Divine‘s pensive piano-loop instrumental, the up-and-comer reflects on his motivations for making music, as well as the countless obstacles that stand in the way of his journey to the top – from haters and gold-digging groupies to his self-doubt and preoccupation with fame. Needless to say, the emcee sounds just as dope and insightful by his new name as he did by the old (if not more). Readers digging this introspective, lyrically astute jam won’t want to miss the fresh material YONAS will showcase on his new street album, SEVEN; scheduled to hit the ‘net sometime this spring.
Written by richard on 02/25/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"In Too Deep" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Beyond the Lights: Machine Gun Kelly Learns to Act Like Himself
- Reggie Bonds - Stream of Consciousness Pt. 1
- Eminem Vs. DJ Whoo Kid - Shady Classics
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.