If I had to compare Yonas’ new single Push Em Back to a city, it would definitely be Toronto. And if you have ever been to T-Dot, you should know exactly why; Toronto is a city with a little bit of everything and everyone, plus it is friendly without being naive. Although a Bronx-native, Yonas exudes a certain worldly combo of culture and positivity, while still remaining edgy. Push Em Back utilizes some stellar production by Sean Divine to allow Yonas to claim his spot as “the nicest on the mic since Martin Luther.” While his bars are not as eccentrically witty as Weezy, and consciousness may not consume him like Common, Yonas has finds something rare in hip hop with this song: balance. Versatility, knowledge, strength, Push Em Back is a great song that contains a little bit of everything, just like Toronto. If you are digging this, make sure to cop Yonas’ album SEVEN which is set to drop sometime this spring or summer, depending on whether the release date gets – ahem – pushed back.
Listen to More: Yonas Written by Quentin Cuff
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"In Too Deep" (2009)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Drama x Don Cannon x Trendsetter Sense - The Boondocks Mixtape (Season 4)
- Mick Jenkins - Steam
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Chart (April 14, 2014)
- Future - Honest LP
- Nas - Illmatic XX
- Dizzy Wright - State of Mind EP
- Locksmith - A Thousand Cuts
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.