If I had to compare Yonas’ new single Push Em Back to a city, it would definitely be Toronto. And if you have ever been to T-Dot, you should know exactly why; Toronto is a city with a little bit of everything and everyone, plus it is friendly without being naive. Although a Bronx-native, Yonas exudes a certain worldly combo of culture and positivity, while still remaining edgy. Push Em Back utilizes some stellar production by Sean Divine to allow Yonas to claim his spot as “the nicest on the mic since Martin Luther.” While his bars are not as eccentrically witty as Weezy, and consciousness may not consume him like Common, Yonas has finds something rare in hip hop with this song: balance. Versatility, knowledge, strength, Push Em Back is a great song that contains a little bit of everything, just like Toronto. If you are digging this, make sure to cop Yonas’ album SEVEN which is set to drop sometime this spring or summer, depending on whether the release date gets – ahem – pushed back.
Listen to More: Yonas Written by Quentin Cuff
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"In Too Deep" (2009)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Logic ft. Big Sean - Alright
- Top Remixes of the Month [April 2014]
- Asher Roth - Retrohash
- Iggy Azalea - The New Classic
- Joyner Lucas - Don’t Ask for Nothin
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Songs Chart (April 21, 2014)
- Behind The Boards Interview Series: Statik Selektah
- Future - Honest LP
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Whoo Kid Breaks Down His Essential DJ Set-Up
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.