If I had to compare Yonas’ new single Push Em Back to a city, it would definitely be Toronto. And if you have ever been to T-Dot, you should know exactly why; Toronto is a city with a little bit of everything and everyone, plus it is friendly without being naive. Although a Bronx-native, Yonas exudes a certain worldly combo of culture and positivity, while still remaining edgy. Push Em Back utilizes some stellar production by Sean Divine to allow Yonas to claim his spot as “the nicest on the mic since Martin Luther.” While his bars are not as eccentrically witty as Weezy, and consciousness may not consume him like Common, Yonas has finds something rare in hip hop with this song: balance. Versatility, knowledge, strength, Push Em Back is a great song that contains a little bit of everything, just like Toronto. If you are digging this, make sure to cop Yonas’ album SEVEN which is set to drop sometime this spring or summer, depending on whether the release date gets – ahem – pushed back.
Listen to More: Yonas
Written by Quentin Cuff on 04/5/10
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"In Too Deep" (2009)
You Might Like...
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)