If I had to compare Yonas’ new single Push Em Back to a city, it would definitely be Toronto. And if you have ever been to T-Dot, you should know exactly why; Toronto is a city with a little bit of everything and everyone, plus it is friendly without being naive. Although a Bronx-native, Yonas exudes a certain worldly combo of culture and positivity, while still remaining edgy. Push Em Back utilizes some stellar production by Sean Divine to allow Yonas to claim his spot as “the nicest on the mic since Martin Luther.” While his bars are not as eccentrically witty as Weezy, and consciousness may not consume him like Common, Yonas has finds something rare in hip hop with this song: balance. Versatility, knowledge, strength, Push Em Back is a great song that contains a little bit of everything, just like Toronto. If you are digging this, make sure to cop Yonas’ album SEVEN which is set to drop sometime this spring or summer, depending on whether the release date gets – ahem – pushed back.
Written by Quentin Cuff on 04/5/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"In Too Deep" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 2014, The Year I Learned to Say Fuck the Police
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.