If I had to compare Yonas’ new single Push Em Back to a city, it would definitely be Toronto. And if you have ever been to T-Dot, you should know exactly why; Toronto is a city with a little bit of everything and everyone, plus it is friendly without being naive. Although a Bronx-native, Yonas exudes a certain worldly combo of culture and positivity, while still remaining edgy. Push Em Back utilizes some stellar production by Sean Divine to allow Yonas to claim his spot as “the nicest on the mic since Martin Luther.” While his bars are not as eccentrically witty as Weezy, and consciousness may not consume him like Common, Yonas has finds something rare in hip hop with this song: balance. Versatility, knowledge, strength, Push Em Back is a great song that contains a little bit of everything, just like Toronto. If you are digging this, make sure to cop Yonas’ album SEVEN which is set to drop sometime this spring or summer, depending on whether the release date gets – ahem – pushed back.
Written by Quentin Cuff on 04/5/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"In Too Deep" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Fast Food Music: How Our Hunger for More is Killing Hip-Hop
- Rihanna & Kanye’s “FourFiveSeconds” is a Blue Collar Anthem
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.