Released to little fanfare back in September of 2010, Foster the People‘s Pumped Up Kicks has slowly but surely grown into a crossover juggernaut. And it’s not hard to see why: the pounding beat, instant-classic bassline and eminently hummable (and whistlable) melody made it a surefire crowd-pleaser, not to mention catnip for hip-hop artists seeking grist for ther remix mill. Hot on the heels of Kendrick Lamar‘s recent (non-featured) take on the sleeper hit, Yonas has hooked up with frequent collaborator Sean Ross to spin Kicks into an anthem for his grind. Over Ross’ rearranged, subty punched-up instrumental, the freestyle series contributor jettisons the original’s morbid lyrical theme - the song is about a school shooting, yes, really - in favor of something more uplifting, expressing his determination to shoot for the stars in spite of hardship and sorrow: “I lost my soul 15 years ago when I lost my father to cancer / But I’m still here, sh*t, and I still refuse to quit…” The project that will feature this remix has yet to receive a title or a solid release date but, as always, those digging it can keep their browsers locked to the Booth for the latest news and tunes.
Written by richard on 09/14/11
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"In Too Deep" (2009)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Ty Dolla $ign - $ign Language
- Eminem ft. Sia - Guts Over Fear
- Best/Worst of the Week: My Anaconda Don’t Want None, French Mondashian & More
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.