Released to little fanfare back in September of 2010, Foster the People‘s Pumped Up Kicks has slowly but surely grown into a crossover juggernaut. And it’s not hard to see why: the pounding beat, instant-classic bassline and eminently hummable (and whistlable) melody made it a surefire crowd-pleaser, not to mention catnip for hip-hop artists seeking grist for ther remix mill. Hot on the heels of Kendrick Lamar‘s recent (non-featured) take on the sleeper hit, Yonas has hooked up with frequent collaborator Sean Ross to spin Kicks into an anthem for his grind. Over Ross’ rearranged, subty punched-up instrumental, the freestyle series contributor jettisons the original’s morbid lyrical theme - the song is about a school shooting, yes, really - in favor of something more uplifting, expressing his determination to shoot for the stars in spite of hardship and sorrow: “I lost my soul 15 years ago when I lost my father to cancer / But I’m still here, sh*t, and I still refuse to quit…” The project that will feature this remix has yet to receive a title or a solid release date but, as always, those digging it can keep their browsers locked to the Booth for the latest news and tunes.
Written by richard on 09/14/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"In Too Deep" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- Rap Lines That Make No Fucking Sense: The Comeback
- 1 Listen Album Review: Lupe Fiasco’s “Tetsuo & Youth” (Lupe Back)
- Inside the Conspiracy Theory World of Childish Gambino’s Music Videos
- KIDD - Whipped Cream
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.