With his version of Foster the People’s Pumped Up Kicks, Yonas put his mark on the biggest sleeper hit of 2011—and earned the Booth staff’s Best Remix of 2011 nod for his troubles. Not quite as ubiquitous as the aforementioned record but equally ripe for recontextualization in a hip-hop record, M83’s Midnight City gets a similar treatment on the Booth fave’s latest promo cut (making its exclusive world premiere!). As on Kicks, Sean Ross handles production duties, fortifying the French synth-pop sensation’s intricately layered electronic soundscape and iconic, studio-tweaked yowls (Yawps? Hoots?) with a punchier rhythm section. Yonas digs deep on the lyrical tip, exploring themes of mortality, spirituality, and the hustle in verses as rich in meaning as they are simple and direct in delivery. On the bridge, he sums it all up: “They say the perfect life exists right in them churches / I say the perfect life doesn’t exist where this earth is… I got a future full of soul and a past full of hearses / I resurrect ‘em in my verses.” Feeling it? Download this cut from the freestyle alum‘s Facebook page, and keep it locked you-know-where for all the latest dispatches from his journey to the top.
Written by richard on 01/23/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"In Too Deep" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.