To address the proverbial elephant in the room right off the bat, yes, this Yonas Michael is the same Y.0. that rocked so many U-N-I tracks, and yes, U-N-I has broken up, and no, it’s not worth delving into why here. Instead, let’s just focus on the fact that, whatever moniker is attached, good music is continuing to come our way from the man, good music like PUNKS. As you’d expect with a title like that, producer Klutch builds the foundation of PUNKS with some distinctly punk and indie rock scaffolding that’s simultaneously aggressive and mellowed, inspiring Yonas and collaborator Booker T (no, not the MGs frontman or the wrestler) to follow the lead and deliver some distorted, unapologetically disaffected vocals that don’t just cross genres, it annihilates them. So how about it DJBooth Nation, is this one inspiring you to go throw on that Sex Pistols album and break out the safety pins? Either way, with an introduction like this there’s just no telling what Michael’s upcoming album, Lost in Hollywood, will sound like when it drops October 31. Fans will just have to cop it via The DJBooth to find out.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Bad Man" (2012)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Logic ft. Big Sean - Alright
- Top Remixes of the Month [April 2014]
- Asher Roth - Retrohash
- Iggy Azalea - The New Classic
- Joyner Lucas - Don’t Ask for Nothin
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Songs Chart (April 21, 2014)
- Behind The Boards Interview Series: Statik Selektah
- Future - Honest LP
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Whoo Kid Breaks Down His Essential DJ Set-Up
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.