To address the proverbial elephant in the room right off the bat, yes, this Yonas Michael is the same Y.0. that rocked so many U-N-I tracks, and yes, U-N-I has broken up, and no, it’s not worth delving into why here. Instead, let’s just focus on the fact that, whatever moniker is attached, good music is continuing to come our way from the man, good music like PUNKS. As you’d expect with a title like that, producer Klutch builds the foundation of PUNKS with some distinctly punk and indie rock scaffolding that’s simultaneously aggressive and mellowed, inspiring Yonas and collaborator Booker T (no, not the MGs frontman or the wrestler) to follow the lead and deliver some distorted, unapologetically disaffected vocals that don’t just cross genres, it annihilates them. So how about it DJBooth Nation, is this one inspiring you to go throw on that Sex Pistols album and break out the safety pins? Either way, with an introduction like this there’s just no telling what Michael’s upcoming album, Lost in Hollywood, will sound like when it drops October 31. Fans will just have to cop it via The DJBooth to find out.
Written by Nathan S. on 10/23/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Bad Man" (2012)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: Nicki Minaj’s (Kinda Boring) “The Pinkprint”
- Mike WiLL Made-It - Ransom
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.