Why does Yonas rock the mic? You might as well ask why birds choose to sing, or why 2 Chainz steals panties from women’s clotheslines: “It’s something that just Feels Right.” Natural as kicking rhymes might be to the Big Apple representative and longtime Booth fave, his singleminded pursuit of rap excellence hasn’t come without its price. On a standout selection off his just-released, DJBooth-sponsored full-length, the artist reaffirms his determination to succeed while acknowledging the stresses and sacrifices of his hustle, flowing over the upbeat synth production of Sean Ross. Guest emcee Logic tackles the physical side of the equation: “Come to find out the doctor said I had a throat infection / Not to mention I got a couple shows this week / Now, how I’m supposed to hit the stage if I can’t even speak?” Needless to say, the DMV repper doesn’t let a few punk-ass bacteria slow his roll; with a quick caveat regarding the potentially f**ked-up state of his voice, he gets right back to the business of microphone murder. Craving more ambitious bangers from Yonas and company? You’ll find what you seek on The Transition, available here for free streaming and download.
Written by richard on 06/25/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"In Too Deep" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Fast Food Music: How Our Hunger for More is Killing Hip-Hop
- Rihanna & Kanye’s “FourFiveSeconds” is a Blue Collar Anthem
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.