Why does Yonas rock the mic? You might as well ask why birds choose to sing, or why 2 Chainz steals panties from women’s clotheslines: “It’s something that just Feels Right.” Natural as kicking rhymes might be to the Big Apple representative and longtime Booth fave, his singleminded pursuit of rap excellence hasn’t come without its price. On a standout selection off his just-released, DJBooth-sponsored full-length, the artist reaffirms his determination to succeed while acknowledging the stresses and sacrifices of his hustle, flowing over the upbeat synth production of Sean Ross. Guest emcee Logic tackles the physical side of the equation: “Come to find out the doctor said I had a throat infection / Not to mention I got a couple shows this week / Now, how I’m supposed to hit the stage if I can’t even speak?” Needless to say, the DMV repper doesn’t let a few punk-ass bacteria slow his roll; with a quick caveat regarding the potentially f**ked-up state of his voice, he gets right back to the business of microphone murder. Craving more ambitious bangers from Yonas and company? You’ll find what you seek on The Transition, available here for free streaming and download.
Written by richard on 06/25/12
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"In Too Deep" (2009)
- Yelawolf - Till It’s Gone
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Rick Ross ft. Project Pat - Elvis Presley Blvd.
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Chris Brown ft. Trey Songz - Songs on 12 Play
- Dyme-A-Duzin - Hip Hope
- Mick Jenkins - DJBooth RapBox Freestyle
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.