An understated, emotional jam with a folk rock-infused sound, OneRepublic‘s Counting Stars doesn’t spring to mind as a prime candidate for a Trap Remix… but I’ll be damned if longtime Booth fave and NYC repper Yonas doesn’t pull it off on his latest promo single. Much of the cut’s success can be attributed to constant behind-the-boards collaborator Sean Ross, who exhibits plenty of ingenuity as he bends the sample to fit his purposes. Which isn’t to say the headliner slacks on the mic—on the contrary, his bars are excellent as usual. In a blistering flow that drips with confidence, the emcee stresses the inevitability of his rise to power, and looks forward to the hefty checks in his future. This joint isn’t attached to a larger set, but fans can keep it locked for the latest from the rising rap star. The DJBooth is a media sponsor of the artist’s upcoming Up All Night Tour; click here to learn when Yonas and tourmate Pell will be visiting a city near you!
Written by richard on 02/25/14
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"In Too Deep" (2009)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Best/Worst Of The Week: DMX Loses His Shit (In a Good Way), Droog Still Isn’t Nas
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 2
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (July 2014)
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- It’s Electric: An EDM Guide For the Hip-Hop Head
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.