An understated, emotional jam with a folk rock-infused sound, OneRepublic‘s Counting Stars doesn’t spring to mind as a prime candidate for a Trap Remix… but I’ll be damned if longtime Booth fave and NYC repper Yonas doesn’t pull it off on his latest promo single. Much of the cut’s success can be attributed to constant behind-the-boards collaborator Sean Ross, who exhibits plenty of ingenuity as he bends the sample to fit his purposes. Which isn’t to say the headliner slacks on the mic—on the contrary, his bars are excellent as usual. In a blistering flow that drips with confidence, the emcee stresses the inevitability of his rise to power, and looks forward to the hefty checks in his future. This joint isn’t attached to a larger set, but fans can keep it locked for the latest from the rising rap star. The DJBooth is a media sponsor of the artist’s upcoming Up All Night Tour; click here to learn when Yonas and tourmate Pell will be visiting a city near you!
Written by richard on 02/25/14
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"In Too Deep" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (1/23)
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- Rap Lines That Make No Fucking Sense: The Comeback
- Saba, The Native Son #TopProspects
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.