They say that all’s fair in love and war, but too often love can be a war, with the battlefield the hearts of those involved. (Cue the Pat Benatar.) Such heartache is an unfortunate but all too common part of life, as DJBooth newcomer Yobi knows only too well. Making her first appearance on our pages with new single Painful War, the New York City crooner is hoping to make a strong first impression with her electronically enhanced R&B offering. Setting the pace is B Hawk’s bouncing and synthy beat, bright on the surface but underlain with just a hint of darkness. Backing up that sonic mix are Yobi’s vocals, which carry in the woman scorned but not defeated style that has become a hallmark of modern R&B. Lending his support is noted rapper-slapper Maino, who delivers one of his, dare I say it, gentler performances I can remember hearing from the man. Want to hear more from Yobi? I’ve got good news and bad news. An album or larger project has yet to take shape, but fans can check out the new video for Painful War, out now.
Written by Nathan S. on 05/2/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Set In Stone" (2011)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Epic Fail: Bobby Shmurda’s Label Cashed In & Then Bailed Out
- Open Mic: Why Rappers Need to Play Small Shows
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.