For years artists have creatively devised alternative terms for drugs, violence and sex. In fact, there are so many options when deciding which drug to reference, it’s impossible to even know where to begin. For example, if a rapper talks about his blow, smack, baby powder or white chick, he or she is spittin’ their rhymes about cocaine. Instead of beating around a bush, or attempting to create a PC-version of his song, Memphis rapper Yo Gotti is entitled his new cut by its real name. Joined by Juelz Santana, Cocaine works as an inadvertent Public Service Announcement rolled up into a rap song. The chorus reminds listeners that like money, cocaine makes you do strange things. So does that include recording a catchy song that can’t be pushed toward radio?
Written by DJ Z on 11/25/07
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"I Got Them " (2006)
You Might Like...
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Best/Worst of the Week: My Anaconda Don’t Want None, French Mondashian & More
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (8/22)
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- Run The Jewels - Blockbuster Night (Part 1)
- T.I. ft. Skylar Grey - New National Anthem
- Interview With a “White Rapper”: Rittz on Race, Respect & Hip-Hop
- Wiz Khalifa - Blacc Hollywood
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.