For years artists have creatively devised alternative terms for drugs, violence and sex. In fact, there are so many options when deciding which drug to reference, it’s impossible to even know where to begin. For example, if a rapper talks about his blow, smack, baby powder or white chick, he or she is spittin’ their rhymes about cocaine. Instead of beating around a bush, or attempting to create a PC-version of his song, Memphis rapper Yo Gotti is entitled his new cut by its real name. Joined by Juelz Santana, Cocaine works as an inadvertent Public Service Announcement rolled up into a rap song. The chorus reminds listeners that like money, cocaine makes you do strange things. So does that include recording a catchy song that can’t be pushed toward radio?
Written by DJ Z on 11/25/07
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"I Got Them " (2006)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (9/19)
- 2 Chainz ft. Young Thug - Dresser (Lil Boy)
- Jennifer Lopez ft. Iggy Azalea - Booty (Remix)
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Billy Blue - Pu$$y
- Lil Dicky - Lemme Freak
- Yelawolf - Till It’s Gone
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- How to Get Your Music Posted Online: The Email Edition
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.