For years artists have creatively devised alternative terms for drugs, violence and sex. In fact, there are so many options when deciding which drug to reference, it’s impossible to even know where to begin. For example, if a rapper talks about his blow, smack, baby powder or white chick, he or she is spittin’ their rhymes about cocaine. Instead of beating around a bush, or attempting to create a PC-version of his song, Memphis rapper Yo Gotti is entitled his new cut by its real name. Joined by Juelz Santana, Cocaine works as an inadvertent Public Service Announcement rolled up into a rap song. The chorus reminds listeners that like money, cocaine makes you do strange things. So does that include recording a catchy song that can’t be pushed toward radio?
Written by DJ Z on 11/25/07
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"I Got Them " (2006)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- S1 Confirms Kanye West Working on New Album, Songs Are “Feel Good” #A3CProAudio
- 5 Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed (10/20)
- PRhyme (Royce Da 5’9” & DJ Premier) - U Looz
- Lil Dicky ft. Michael Christmas & Rockie Fresh - Would You Believe That
- DeJ Loaf - Sell Sole
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- All 79 Things Chance the Rapper Hates on “No Better Blues”
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.