For years artists have creatively devised alternative terms for drugs, violence and sex. In fact, there are so many options when deciding which drug to reference, it’s impossible to even know where to begin. For example, if a rapper talks about his blow, smack, baby powder or white chick, he or she is spittin’ their rhymes about cocaine. Instead of beating around a bush, or attempting to create a PC-version of his song, Memphis rapper Yo Gotti is entitled his new cut by its real name. Joined by Juelz Santana, Cocaine works as an inadvertent Public Service Announcement rolled up into a rap song. The chorus reminds listeners that like money, cocaine makes you do strange things. So does that include recording a catchy song that can’t be pushed toward radio?
Written by DJ Z on 11/25/07
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"I Got Them " (2006)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Billy Blue - Pu$$y
- Red Cup Nation ft. Tommy Parker - Girls
- Lil Dicky - Lemme Freak
- Yelawolf - Till It’s Gone
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Rick Ross ft. Project Pat - Elvis Presley Blvd.
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.