To truly understand an emcee, you’ve got to take a walk through their ‘hood, soaking in the sights and sounds that surrounded them while they were growing up. Since most of us don’t have either the money or time to visit the hometowns of every rapper on our iPods, Yo Dot offers listeners the next best thing on mixtape title track Sherman Park Memoirs, making its world world premiere in the Booth. Named after a neighborhood in the Northwestern area of Yo Dot’s native Milwaukee, the record finds the emcee spitting vividly about the struggle that formed the backdrop of his early life. Lest we get it twisted, though, he makes clear that he refuses to view himself as a simple product of his environment—over Lib Gibson‘s string-driven boardwork, he avers that he’s destined for bigger and better things. Featuring this standout, the reader-acclaimed Red Snapper and many more bangers, Yo Dot’s Sherman Park Memoirs LP is slated to drop Tuesday, June 25, via The DJBooth.
Update: Click “Watch Video” above or scroll down (for mobile) to view Yo Dot’s HDDesignz-directed Sherman Park Memoirs visual.
Written by richard on 06/27/13
Submit your Rating
Umbrella Music Group
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"I'm Just Trying to Live" (2012)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Fast Food Music: How Our Hunger for More is Killing Hip-Hop
- Rihanna & Kanye’s “FourFiveSeconds” is a Blue Collar Anthem
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.