The Sky Is the Limit, a freestyle off Lil Wayne‘s Da Drought 3 tape, opens with the lines, “You know I ride for my motherf**king n**gas / Most likely I’mma die with my finger on the trigger.” Fresh off signing to CTE, Compton emcee YG borrows Weezy’s words (as well as the chorus of C-Murder‘s classic Down 4 My Niggas) to express his loyalty to his newfound fam on new promo single Ride For [My N*gga]. Appropriately, the cut finds YG joined on the mic by Corporate Thugz capo Jeezy, who voices his admiration for his new hire on verse two. ATL newcomer Rich Homie Quan rounds out the lineup, contributing a lightly-AutoTuned 16 on the front. Ride won’t be part of a larger project, but we in the Booth will keep you posted on YG’s plans as he settles into his label home.
Written by richard on 06/20/13
Def Jam Records/CTE
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"In The Morning" (2010)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- After Wiz Khalifa’s “Blacc Hollywood”, What Does a Number One Album Mean?
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)