The Sky Is the Limit, a freestyle off Lil Wayne‘s Da Drought 3 tape, opens with the lines, “You know I ride for my motherf**king n**gas / Most likely I’mma die with my finger on the trigger.” Fresh off signing to CTE, Compton emcee YG borrows Weezy’s words (as well as the chorus of C-Murder‘s classic Down 4 My Niggas) to express his loyalty to his newfound fam on new promo single Ride For [My N*gga]. Appropriately, the cut finds YG joined on the mic by Corporate Thugz capo Jeezy, who voices his admiration for his new hire on verse two. ATL newcomer Rich Homie Quan rounds out the lineup, contributing a lightly-AutoTuned 16 on the front. Ride won’t be part of a larger project, but we in the Booth will keep you posted on YG’s plans as he settles into his label home.
Written by richard on 06/20/13
Submit your Rating
Def Jam Records/CTE
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"In The Morning" (2010)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: Nicki Minaj’s (Kinda Boring) “The Pinkprint”
- Mike WiLL Made-It - Ransom
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.