The Sky Is the Limit, a freestyle off Lil Wayne‘s Da Drought 3 tape, opens with the lines, “You know I ride for my motherf**king n**gas / Most likely I’mma die with my finger on the trigger.” Fresh off signing to CTE, Compton emcee YG borrows Weezy’s words (as well as the chorus of C-Murder‘s classic Down 4 My Niggas) to express his loyalty to his newfound fam on new promo single Ride For [My N*gga]. Appropriately, the cut finds YG joined on the mic by Corporate Thugz capo Jeezy, who voices his admiration for his new hire on verse two. ATL newcomer Rich Homie Quan rounds out the lineup, contributing a lightly-AutoTuned 16 on the front. Ride won’t be part of a larger project, but we in the Booth will keep you posted on YG’s plans as he settles into his label home.
Written by richard on 06/20/13
Submit your Rating
Def Jam Records/CTE
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"In The Morning" (2010)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- Rap Lines That Make No Fucking Sense: The Comeback
- 1 Listen Album Review: Lupe Fiasco’s “Tetsuo & Youth” (Lupe Back)
- Inside the Conspiracy Theory World of Childish Gambino’s Music Videos
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.