Yelawolf‘s ascent to prominence in the game was by no means an easy or straightforward one. In addition to the ever-present industry B.S., he’s had to contend with a public slow to grasp his multi-layered musical persona. (A tattooed white boy from Alabama mixing gutter rap, pop, club music and Southern rock? Whoever heard of such a thing?) Fortunately, the pressures to fit only strengthened his desire to stand out—and his newest project, a collaborative EP with UK singer Ed Sheeran, is a testament to that tenacity. On project standout Faces, Sheeran joins forces with Jake Gossling behind the boards, crafting a jittery, rock-infused synth backdrop for verses chronicling Yela’s efforts to stay true to his roots as he brings his vision to life on the international stage. In bars dripping with defiance, he brushes off those who’d try to make him into something he’s not: “I am not the reason, that the image you’re used to seein’ / Is usually bein’ fake, so to me the hate is meaningless / Meaning yes, I’m different.” Digging this musical declaration of individuality? Faces, along with with the previously-featured You Don’t Know and much more, can be found on Yelawolf and Sheeran’s Slumdon Bridge EP, released earlier this week for free download.
Written by richard on 02/16/12
Submit your Rating
Shady / Interscope
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"I Wish" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Billy Blue - Pu$$y
- Red Cup Nation ft. Tommy Parker - Girls
- Lil Dicky - Lemme Freak
- Yelawolf - Till It’s Gone
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Rick Ross ft. Project Pat - Elvis Presley Blvd.
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.