Yelawolf‘s ascent to prominence in the game was by no means an easy or straightforward one. In addition to the ever-present industry B.S., he’s had to contend with a public slow to grasp his multi-layered musical persona. (A tattooed white boy from Alabama mixing gutter rap, pop, club music and Southern rock? Whoever heard of such a thing?) Fortunately, the pressures to fit only strengthened his desire to stand out—and his newest project, a collaborative EP with UK singer Ed Sheeran, is a testament to that tenacity. On project standout Faces, Sheeran joins forces with Jake Gossling behind the boards, crafting a jittery, rock-infused synth backdrop for verses chronicling Yela’s efforts to stay true to his roots as he brings his vision to life on the international stage. In bars dripping with defiance, he brushes off those who’d try to make him into something he’s not: “I am not the reason, that the image you’re used to seein’ / Is usually bein’ fake, so to me the hate is meaningless / Meaning yes, I’m different.” Digging this musical declaration of individuality? Faces, along with with the previously-featured You Don’t Know and much more, can be found on Yelawolf and Sheeran’s Slumdon Bridge EP, released earlier this week for free download.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"I Wish" (2009)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Logic ft. Big Sean - Alright
- Top Remixes of the Month [April 2014]
- Asher Roth - Retrohash
- Iggy Azalea - The New Classic
- Joyner Lucas - Don’t Ask for Nothin
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Songs Chart (April 21, 2014)
- Behind The Boards Interview Series: Statik Selektah
- Future - Honest LP
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.