Yelawolf‘s ascent to prominence in the game was by no means an easy or straightforward one. In addition to the ever-present industry B.S., he’s had to contend with a public slow to grasp his multi-layered musical persona. (A tattooed white boy from Alabama mixing gutter rap, pop, club music and Southern rock? Whoever heard of such a thing?) Fortunately, the pressures to fit only strengthened his desire to stand out—and his newest project, a collaborative EP with UK singer Ed Sheeran, is a testament to that tenacity. On project standout Faces, Sheeran joins forces with Jake Gossling behind the boards, crafting a jittery, rock-infused synth backdrop for verses chronicling Yela’s efforts to stay true to his roots as he brings his vision to life on the international stage. In bars dripping with defiance, he brushes off those who’d try to make him into something he’s not: “I am not the reason, that the image you’re used to seein’ / Is usually bein’ fake, so to me the hate is meaningless / Meaning yes, I’m different.” Digging this musical declaration of individuality? Faces, along with with the previously-featured You Don’t Know and much more, can be found on Yelawolf and Sheeran’s Slumdon Bridge EP, released earlier this week for free download.
Written by richard on 02/16/12
Shady / Interscope
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"I Wish" (2009)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Kanye Thinks Drake is #1 Right Now - Is He Right? (Rap Power Rankings)
- The Weeknd - King of the Fall
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Mick Jenkins, The Conscience #TopProspects
- Jeremih x Shlohmo - No More EP
- Drake’s New Album is Titled “Views From the 6”: Dope, Wack or Eh?
- Real Recognize Real: GoldLink on Loving Lil Bibby, Shaq & Robots
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (June 2014)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.