Yelawolf has never been big on respecting genre boundaries—I mean, he did record an EP with Travis Barker—but his latest feature may feature his most eccentric cocktail of sounds to date. For those wondering what inspired the Alabama representative to drop a Freestyle over a looped sample from quirky funk-metal ensemble Primus, Yela clears things up in his opening bars: long story short, he was drunk. After telling the freestyle’s origin story, he delves into his own, charting his growth from a musically omnivorous delinquent into a rap star whose live performances attract thousands. This Primus Freestyle is just a loosie, but fans can expect some fresh music from Yelawolf on the Shady XV compilation LP, set to drop on Black Friday. Also, stay on the lookout for details on the artist’s upcoming, unscheduled sophomore set, Love Story.
Written by richard on 08/27/14
Submit your Rating
Shady / Interscope
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"I Wish" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.