Yelawolf has never been big on respecting genre boundaries—I mean, he did record an EP with Travis Barker—but his latest feature may feature his most eccentric cocktail of sounds to date. For those wondering what inspired the Alabama representative to drop a Freestyle over a looped sample from quirky funk-metal ensemble Primus, Yela clears things up in his opening bars: long story short, he was drunk. After telling the freestyle’s origin story, he delves into his own, charting his growth from a musically omnivorous delinquent into a rap star whose live performances attract thousands. This Primus Freestyle is just a loosie, but fans can expect some fresh music from Yelawolf on the Shady XV compilation LP, set to drop on Black Friday. Also, stay on the lookout for details on the artist’s upcoming, unscheduled sophomore set, Love Story.
Written by richard on 08/27/14
Shady / Interscope
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"I Wish" (2009)
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Rick Ross ft. Project Pat - Elvis Presley Blvd.
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Chris Brown ft. Trey Songz - Songs on 12 Play
- Dyme-A-Duzin - Hip Hope
- “I’m Real”: Five Questions With Raury
- Mick Jenkins - DJBooth RapBox Freestyle
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.