Yelawolf has never been big on respecting genre boundaries—I mean, he did record an EP with Travis Barker—but his latest feature may feature his most eccentric cocktail of sounds to date. For those wondering what inspired the Alabama representative to drop a Freestyle over a looped sample from quirky funk-metal ensemble Primus, Yela clears things up in his opening bars: long story short, he was drunk. After telling the freestyle’s origin story, he delves into his own, charting his growth from a musically omnivorous delinquent into a rap star whose live performances attract thousands. This Primus Freestyle is just a loosie, but fans can expect some fresh music from Yelawolf on the Shady XV compilation LP, set to drop on Black Friday. Also, stay on the lookout for details on the artist’s upcoming, unscheduled sophomore set, Love Story.
Written by richard on 08/27/14
Submit your Rating
Shady / Interscope
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"I Wish" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Fast Food Music: How Our Hunger for More is Killing Hip-Hop
- Rihanna & Kanye’s “FourFiveSeconds” is a Blue Collar Anthem
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.