Whatever you think about the man, you have to admit that Yelawolf is nothing if not original. As anyone who heard his Booth-approved cut I Wish - or memorable guest work on Juelz Santana’s Mixin Up the Medicine - knows, the heavily tattooed Southern rapper’s rhythmically complex flow, heavily stylized delivery and off-center lyrics could only come out of the mouth of one man (or one wolf). Case in point; his new track Pop the Trunk, a darkly pacing cut featuring minimalist but skilled production from Will Power and gripping microphone work from Yela as he alternates between not-so-veiled threats and well-crafted storytelling rhymes. Stylistically not everyone will dig Pop the Trunk, but love him or hate him, you have to respect Yelawolf’s willingness to lead, not follow. If you’re a fan of Yelawolf you’re in luck. His Trunk Muzik Mixtape is set to drop in December and his exclusive DJBooth freestyle will bless our pages this Wednesday. In other words, we’ve got it on lock.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"I Wish" (2009)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of February 2014
- Pharrell - G I R L
- Rick Ross - Mastermind
- ScHoolboy Q - Oxymoron
- A 15 Song Tour Through Pharrell’s Career
- SchoolBoy Q ft. 2 Chainz - What They Want
- Future ft. Pharrell, Pusha T & Casino - Move That Dope
- Nyzzy Nyce - Nothing Nyce
- Devin Miles - Where the DJs At?
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!