Whatever you think about the man, you have to admit that Yelawolf is nothing if not original. As anyone who heard his Booth-approved cut I Wish - or memorable guest work on Juelz Santana’s Mixin Up the Medicine - knows, the heavily tattooed Southern rapper’s rhythmically complex flow, heavily stylized delivery and off-center lyrics could only come out of the mouth of one man (or one wolf). Case in point; his new track Pop the Trunk, a darkly pacing cut featuring minimalist but skilled production from Will Power and gripping microphone work from Yela as he alternates between not-so-veiled threats and well-crafted storytelling rhymes. Stylistically not everyone will dig Pop the Trunk, but love him or hate him, you have to respect Yelawolf’s willingness to lead, not follow. If you’re a fan of Yelawolf you’re in luck. His Trunk Muzik Mixtape is set to drop in December and his exclusive DJBooth freestyle will bless our pages this Wednesday. In other words, we’ve got it on lock.
Written by Nathan S. on 11/22/09
Submit your Rating
Shady / Interscope
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"I Wish" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- T.I. ft. Young Thug, Lil Wayne & Jeezy - About The Money (Remix)
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Nikki Jean - Haile Selassie
- Every Logic Song We’ve Ever Featured
- Shady XV: Eminem is Dropping a New Album & I Don’t Care
- S1 Confirms Kanye West Working on New Album, Songs Are “Feel Good” #A3CProAudio
- 5 Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed (10/20)
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.