Whatever you think about the man, you have to admit that Yelawolf is nothing if not original. As anyone who heard his Booth-approved cut I Wish - or memorable guest work on Juelz Santana’s Mixin Up the Medicine - knows, the heavily tattooed Southern rapper’s rhythmically complex flow, heavily stylized delivery and off-center lyrics could only come out of the mouth of one man (or one wolf). Case in point; his new track Pop the Trunk, a darkly pacing cut featuring minimalist but skilled production from Will Power and gripping microphone work from Yela as he alternates between not-so-veiled threats and well-crafted storytelling rhymes. Stylistically not everyone will dig Pop the Trunk, but love him or hate him, you have to respect Yelawolf’s willingness to lead, not follow. If you’re a fan of Yelawolf you’re in luck. His Trunk Muzik Mixtape is set to drop in December and his exclusive DJBooth freestyle will bless our pages this Wednesday. In other words, we’ve got it on lock.
Written by Nathan S. on 11/22/09
Submit your Rating
Shady / Interscope
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"I Wish" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 2 Chainz ft. Young Thug - Dresser (Lil Boy)
- Jennifer Lopez ft. Iggy Azalea - Booty (Remix)
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Billy Blue - Pu$$y
- Lil Dicky - Lemme Freak
- Yelawolf - Till It’s Gone
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.