Whatever you think about the man, you have to admit that Yelawolf is nothing if not original. As anyone who heard his Booth-approved cut I Wish - or memorable guest work on Juelz Santana’s Mixin Up the Medicine - knows, the heavily tattooed Southern rapper’s rhythmically complex flow, heavily stylized delivery and off-center lyrics could only come out of the mouth of one man (or one wolf). Case in point; his new track Pop the Trunk, a darkly pacing cut featuring minimalist but skilled production from Will Power and gripping microphone work from Yela as he alternates between not-so-veiled threats and well-crafted storytelling rhymes. Stylistically not everyone will dig Pop the Trunk, but love him or hate him, you have to respect Yelawolf’s willingness to lead, not follow. If you’re a fan of Yelawolf you’re in luck. His Trunk Muzik Mixtape is set to drop in December and his exclusive DJBooth freestyle will bless our pages this Wednesday. In other words, we’ve got it on lock.
Written by Nathan S. on 11/22/09
Submit your Rating
Shady / Interscope
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"I Wish" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- The Worlds Needs a Freddie Gibbs x BJ The Chicago Kid Album
- Tasha The Amazon - Can’t Control Us
- Is Madonna Working on a Secret Rap Album?
- RyattFienix - Ryse of the Fienix
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)