Whatever you think about the man, you have to admit that Yelawolf is nothing if not original. As anyone who heard his Booth-approved cut I Wish - or memorable guest work on Juelz Santana’s Mixin Up the Medicine - knows, the heavily tattooed Southern rapper’s rhythmically complex flow, heavily stylized delivery and off-center lyrics could only come out of the mouth of one man (or one wolf). Case in point; his new track Pop the Trunk, a darkly pacing cut featuring minimalist but skilled production from Will Power and gripping microphone work from Yela as he alternates between not-so-veiled threats and well-crafted storytelling rhymes. Stylistically not everyone will dig Pop the Trunk, but love him or hate him, you have to respect Yelawolf’s willingness to lead, not follow. If you’re a fan of Yelawolf you’re in luck. His Trunk Muzik Mixtape is set to drop in December and his exclusive DJBooth freestyle will bless our pages this Wednesday. In other words, we’ve got it on lock.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"I Wish" (2009)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Drama x Don Cannon x Trendsetter Sense - The Boondocks Mixtape (Season 4)
- Mick Jenkins - Steam
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Chart (April 14, 2014)
- Future - Honest LP
- Nas - Illmatic XX
- Dizzy Wright - State of Mind EP
- Locksmith - A Thousand Cuts
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.