While Yelawolf‘s sound and swagger are unmistakably his own, the Alabama repper certainly isn’t the first one to mix a little country-rock flavor into his hip-hop. On the follow-up to lead selection Hard White (Up in the Club), the Booth-acclaimed lead single off his debut studio album, the reader fave (and freestyle series alum) joins forces with an artist who cultivated a similar aesthetic before leaving his hip-hop influences behind. Lets Roll finds co-producers The Audibles and Mr. Pyro serving up a driving synth-percussion instrumental to back Yela as he spits about his humble origins (“Let me welcome you to my small town / Big trucks in the yard, big bucks on the wall, country folks all around.”) and his successes to date: “White trash and all, take us all the way to the top and then laugh it off / Like how the f*ck did I get a catalog with more hits than a f*cking jackhammer, dog?” The aforementioned guest, rapper-turned-singer Kid Rock, echoes the headliner’s sentiments on a sweeping hook—no flowed bars from the Detroit vet this time. Need more Yela in your life? Then be sure to pick up your own copy of his Shady/Interscope debut, Radioactive, set to hit store shelves and online retailers Nov. 21.
Written by richard on 10/30/11
Submit your Rating
Shady / Interscope
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"I Wish" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: Nicki Minaj’s (Kinda Boring) “The Pinkprint”
- Mike WiLL Made-It - Ransom
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.